1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PRO PLUS Electrical Issue-Please Help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DGODGR, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I have an Ultramount 8' Pro Plus (not sure if the Pro Plus was offered before the Ultramount, but I thought I'd add that info) that has an intermittent problem. It has been happening with increasing frequency. It started with the plow turning off when trying to lift (when I pushed the button). The light on the controller would go out but everything would work fine if you turned the controller back on. This was happenning occassionaly. As the day progressed it began to happen more often. After a while it would do it repeatedly, even after turning the unit back on. At that point it did not matter which button I would push, with the exception of the down button. As soon as I pushed a button, the light would go out. It was as if I was blowing a fuse. At one point it was so bad that I was stuck with the blade on the ground. I got out seperated, and reconnected, the (2) control plugs. I could then operate the plow again. This leads me to suspect that I may have a problem with the connectors. If it is the connectors, is there a way to refurbish them with out cutting them off? Can I just crimp the female pins to get a little tighter fit? I do not know the age, or time, on the truck side components. I bought them used (3) seasons ago. Of course it may be something else entirely. Hopefully I have offered enough information to get some good suggestions.

2. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Ok, start off by making sure all your connections are clean and have dielectric grease.
    Im assuming you have a 3 plug system at your grill. One plug has "3" pins in it, thats for your plow movement. Look inside that plug for any arcing or melting. When you hit up and the controller turns off,
    most likely a wire is grounding out. Your controller can be taking a dump also as well as a bad wire from controller anywere to the hydraulic unit were the wires connect to your coils. What you want to do is start ruling items out. Any other info would be helpful. SPW

3. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Do you have only "2" plugs or did you just disconnect 2 out of 3 plugs?

The information previously posted doesn't change much except
    you have 1 plug with 9 or 12 pins likely.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

ck your controller pwr lead, and double ck the plow gnds

5. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Yes, I have (3) plugs. I have (2) plugs that have small pins (the ones I termed "control plugs") and one that feeds power from the battery to the motor. The plug that has (3) pins had a lot of snow on it when I pulled it apart. I'm not sure how much snow may have been inside, if any, (some was in there but I thought it probably got in there when I pulled apart the connection) but it could have been fowling things up. I have not put any dielectric grease on my plows for some time now. I will look closer at the plug (when I add the grease) but I did not notice any arcing when I pulled it apart in the field on Friday.

See above.

Yes, one of the control plugs has (3) pins and the other has a lot, but I have not counted them. 9 or 12 seems about right.

I will try the simple things first. I mounted the plow myself but I don't recall where the ground wire/s are. I don't think that they will be hard to locate. Do the plugs wear out? Is it possible to slightly close the female pins to get better contact, or do I have to replace parts of the harness if the plugs are worn out?
    Thanks for the help.

6. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I'm not sure if I have any "coils" in my electrical system. I have a single solenoid. Are you using the term "coils" for the hydraulic valve actuators, or are you giving me advice for a different electrical system?

7. dieselss

The black boxes that the 2 wires goto are called coils. When you press up, right, left, or dwn. They control the electrical part

8. dieselss

As far as fixing the plugs, you can't spread out the male pins like you used to. As far as the female pins,,,I have never tried

9. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

The coils i was referring to are located on your hydraulic pump.
    It has a black cover over 3 coils. the coils slide over the valves.
    Each coil has a ground linking one to another. They have individual power wires.

As far as the plugs, you can take a pair if wide jaw pliers (called linesman pliers)
    and give the plug a little squeeze. Then plug it back together. I would only recommend that to get you bye. Good luck SPW.

10. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

It could also be the board in the controller going bad as well or the solider that attach to the light indicator leads has become loose. U need to check the controller board. Or see if someone you know has a controller like you have and plug that person controller in to see if it resolve your problem.

11. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Just to update...I have lightly filed the male posts, cleaned out the female connectors, and applied dielectric grease. So far so good. It has worked for 2 events.

12. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Thats great news...

Glad you were able to apply the input from multiple members
    and sounds like its working well !!ussmileyflag

13. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I hope that fixed it. I did work fine again today (another event). Thanks, everyone, for your input.