1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro plow wobble

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Feb 12, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

How tight should the pivot bolt (nut) be?

I've noticed that the plow when raised will "teeter" left and right a little. How much is too much and how tight should the bolt be?

Thank you,

Joel B.

2. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

is it a western???

if so the bolt should be socked down to 65lbs of torque then backed off 1 and a half turns

3. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Yes, it's a Western Pro-Poly 8'. If it is supposed to be backed off 1.5 turns, then it sounds like some "teetering" side-to-side of the blade would be normal. For those of us wothout torque wrenches, is 65 lbs. "really cranking it down", or more like 1/2 turn past finger tight, or what?

Thanks for the help,

Joel B.

4. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

how much wobble is acceptable in an 8ft pro plow ,meaning if you stood on the side of it with it raised and lifted the side up-down,it seems like the area around the sector on the a frame is bent upward and is letting it wobble anyone else have this problem ,how did you fix it ,i have welding + fabbing supplies -please let me know:confused:

5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

My 8ft Pro Plow does wobble if make it by pushing on it. However I've never really noticed it while plowing or driving. It will wobble if you hit a good bump will your transporting it, but that's about it. I think it does need to have a little play to keep things from breaking.

6. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

it depends on how old (worn out) the plow is. all plows should have some play (wobble) in there.

take a look at the center pivot are, see if the bolt is worn out, or the holes are elongated.

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Before you even bother tightening it, get a new bolt. That bolt in there now will have a groove worn in it for sure.

~Chuck

8. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Chuck,

The plow is brand new. Probably doesn't have more than 10 hours of plowing on it. Could it be worn already?

Joel B.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Westerns also have a bushing in there as well.The bushing gets worn,as will tend to wear out the nose on the a frame.Get a new bolt,bushing and 2 nuts.I usually double nut it so they don't fall off.Don't overtorque it,as the plow must move some side to side to follow the contour of the ground.I usually find just running the nut up fairly snug,with a 1/2 drive ratchet,and backing it off half a turn works just fine.Try not to use an impact gun,as you will distort the bushing and possibly damage the locking nuts.

while it's apart,check the nose of the a frame for wear or elongation of the bolt hole.If it's worn,repair it now,befor it tears off completely.

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

11. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Joel all of my western pros have some side to side movement ,with only 10 hours i wouldnt think you have worn out the frame , Mine average in age from new this season to 5yrs old i check them after useage and they all have the same amount of what i would discribe has sloppy feeling, Like chuck said the bolt will wear if it has been run to loose i carry spare bolts and locking nuts in each of the trucks two years ago i sheared a bolt from running too loose so maybe the best advice and piece of mind would be to remove and inspect if the bolt has a groove then its gonna let ya down replace the bolt and nut since you dont have a t wrench i would at least invest in a 1/2 inch breaker bar style ratchet from like sears and the correct socket dont try using cresent wrenches cause it can hurt real bad when they slip trust me. Once you have checked this i think you will then get a feel for the norm . I like you worryed about the same so its not a big job and it will pay for its self in the piece of mind dept.

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I do not run a Western but on Fishers they run a pin not a bolt. Lots of room for the pin to move vertically but it seems to stay tight in terms of not wobbling to much. On my Meyer after the pivot bolt broke I replaced it with a 5/8" pin copying the Fisher idea. Still has vertical movement but does not wobble at all and pin has not broken in two years.

Looking at the picture of a Western it seems like the A-frame is not as thick as that of a Fisher or even a Meyer. Thus I am not sure that my repair would be possible on a Western. The tongue on the A-frame looks to be more like flat steel and mor condusive to wobbling.

Just my $.02

Last edited: Feb 13, 2003
  13. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

it should not move side to side while driving down the road.i have to push on my plows to get them to move.they should only move while plowing.thats why they wanted it torqued 65 lbs then back out 1 and 1/2 turns.i don't really feel it will cause damage if you only have been using it for 10 hours.bolts should be tight.

14. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Um, who changed the name of my thread and how do you do that?

Joel B.

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Joel

Check your Private Messages.

16. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I would think that it should be able to wobble a bit or else if it was stiff and you struck something hard, yyou would break the whole frame. It's like a tall skyscraper, it needs to sway a little in the wind or else it would fall apart. My boss has a 1990 Western on his Suburban and if you move it with your hand while the blade is raised, it will wobble a little.