1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plow Wings?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by HeartlandOKC, Nov 11, 2011.

1. HeartlandOKC

HeartlandOKC Member

On the western site I only see wings for the Pro Plus and MVP. Are there any available for the Pro Plow?

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I could be wrong, but I think that the Pro Plus and MVP have additional support on the back of the blade to accept the factory wings that the regular Pro doesn't. I have both Pro and Pro Plus, but do not own any western brand wings.

3. HeartlandOKC

HeartlandOKC Member

What brand are you running?

4. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

With the Western Pro's you have to purchase the mounting bracket that the pro plus comes stock with.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

There is a separate tube that runs across the ProPlus plows that is part of the pin on attachment setup that doesn't exist on the Pro plows.

If pics would help you understand I can post the ones of our Pro verses ProPlus with Western wings.

6. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

What's involved with mounting this onto a pro? I don't mind drilling if that's what's up. Is there any downfall with type of setup? ie: the added weight, etc. Thnx

7. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

I just picked this pro plus up with a new GMC I bought.....Save a grand off plow from GM! Anyways you can see the mounting bracket and the 2 smaller holes on the ends that the wings lock into. Your going to need that bracket, which you must mount to the plow itself because you don't have that tube where mine is welded to.

Downfall? I guess if your doing narrow driveways, then it would be a problem....but sometimes I only run one side and put the other on for a couple lots I do. The wings don't add and significant weight....and if you consider making your plow carry more snow a downfall, then yes.....they are a must Thumbs Up

photo-4.jpg

8. Goldendog

Goldendog Junior Member
    from Alaska

I have the pro plus wings and I destroyed the one on the right side yesterday hitting a rr tie yesterday. I did hit it hard but I didin't think it was hard enough to do damage. I was surprised. Is there a replacement wing or should I just go get a new one tomorrow. I like plowing with them on they make a cleaner plowing surface.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have them are nice Only thing they are noisy so I threaded the pins and now I put a lock nut on takes a ratchet put them on and off

10. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

Damn! That is an expensive break. I've never broken one and for your sake I hope you can buy a single, cause around here a pair is $641.

11. Goldendog

Goldendog Junior Member
    from Alaska

Bought it today for $270. It hurt. I'm going to try and get the old one fixed and available as a spare.

12. Goldendog

Goldendog Junior Member
    from Alaska

The welding shop was able to fix the old wing also. Cost 230 but I at least have a spare that I hope I never need again.

13. bsieb

bsieb Junior Member
    from NJ

Wings add 49lbs each. They do add weight but the benefits are amazing! I never plowed with wings before and will never go back. Like anything, you need to get used to them and how they work best and how much snow your truck can push. Instead of the snow falling to the sides it all stays in and gets heavy. You can move alot more snow with wings, makes it alot faster and cleaner use of your time. Highly suggest them. also easy to take on and off is big!!!

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think there are pictures on here how they have been reinforced. On the back of the wing you need to put a brace between the 2 horizontal piece's of steel. We have had 3 or 4 sets and bent all of them before bracing.

15. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

Excellent point. Wings are beneficial but there is a bit of a learning curve to get the most out of them. And its important to know the limitations of your plow and vehicle as well.

16. hummer81

hummer81 Member
    from MN

If anyone has fabricated a set of western wings for a pro plow straight blade can you please post a picture of your fab for the lack or factory backside reinforcement for the pros, and how they have held up. I agree wings are almost a must if your plow any significant square footage. With speedwings, v plow and retractable wings, and very tight biding straight blades days are numbered in most comm. applications. Thanks guy for all the great past info.

17. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

This might sound a little strange,

But is it possible to install the Pro Plow Plus Wings on the Pro Plow by just bolting them on to the end of the blade, or does that reinforcement bar need to be there ?

I really like what I've see those wings do, and unfortunately, the pro plow I just bought doesn't have the mount that the Plus has.

I really wish I had researched this prior to purchasing the pro plow replacement unit.

18. bsieb

bsieb Junior Member
    from NJ

Dogplow Dodge
    Where in NJ are you. I am in middletown. If you want to check out mine, i could meet up with you somewhere. If you wanted to do some fabrication I would be willing to leave my plow with you during warmer months as a guide. As ong as you have somewhere safe to put it or I can chain it up.

19. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

That's cool of you, Thanks !

I looked @ the thread you purchased the plow with. The guy who sold you your plow mentioned it would be best to use aftermarket units. I'd prefer the factory ones, but I'm not thinking they'll fit real easily... by the looks of your plow.

I'm right around the corner from you, so if I ever need help doing jobs, I'm looking for your ford F250 with that plow blade on it, so that you can give me a hand ... or vice verse.

PM me before the next big snow.... you know, sometime in November :eek:

20. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

BSIEB....if possible let me know when you are free, have been curious to see the western wings in person and noticed you. Entwined your in Middletown, I am right in freehold.
    Thanks