1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plow Problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BLawrence, Mar 23, 2003.

1. BLawrence

BLawrence Junior Member

I went to remove my 2 year old Western Pro Plow off the truck last night....after moving the truck and lowering the plow, I could not push the ram down by hand. The plow control indicated "float". I removed the filler plug thinking maybe it was low on fluid, and about a half cup of fluid came out of the filler...I also sprayed lube on the ram, but still it won't go down.
    I only use the plow for my driveway, so it's only been used maybe 20 times over the past two years...and has the original fluid in it. Any ideas?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have Fishers, but I think they're set up the same. Try lifting the blade, then lowering it and holding for a few seconds ( 2-3).

3. BLawrence

BLawrence Junior Member

Got it

Sometimes it helps to get a good night's sleep. Went out this morning, and just slightly loosened the packing nut by about 1/8 turn and it went right down. Now' I'll check the fluid, and hopefully put the plow in it's storage space for the summer (hope to not get anymore snow here in Minnesota...supposed to get into the mid 60's here today
    Thanks!

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

The packing nut is a common problem. Often have to loosen them up due to strain on the pump. The seals are under the nut and keep the fluid from coming out but if it is too tight it will strain the pump and cause motor to heat up. Watch for this when you get your plow back on for the fall. You may have to tighten it back up or loosen it more. A little paint marker on the nut and body will tell you if it is trying to back out. Just a little FYI

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I had the same problem, for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the cylinder wouldn't go down... Of course idiot me unplugged the harness first... I guess thats better then forgetting to unplug it & drive away.

6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

i had the same problem with my western. I went to remove it and the darn thing wouldnt push down by hand. Called the dealer he said just yank on the chain till the ram is fully lowered. So thats how i get it to lower fully to remove it now.

jay

7. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

don't put it away yet. They're talking more snow at the end of the week.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Got Grass?, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's done that. Then stood there trying to figure out why the darned thing won't go down. Finally after about five minites go "Oh, Duh". That was actually going to be my next suggestion.

I have driven away only to find the pins snapped back into place
    :mad: .

BLawrence, glad it worked out.