1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro plow pivot pin repair??? A little sloppy, how to fix it??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by trqjnky, Sep 27, 2011.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

I HAVE THE FRAME TAKEN APART on my 9ft western pro plow. this isnt a pro plus. its got the flat steel on each side of the frame with the bolt going through it. It isnt horrible, but a 9 ft plow wobbles a lot on the ends with just a little play in the center.

how to i go about fixing this? sleeving the hole seems the best, but how do i hog out the 4 layers of plate steel to fit the sleeve in there besides a die grinder and an assload of time?

also, i was going to shim up the gaps in the pivot pin where parts go together to tighten things up a bit. that wont make it bind too much will it?
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I like the plows to have some slop it helps them get the into the contours of lots better. In 15+ years we have only had to work on pivot pins twice, once on a Bobcat blade where was ripped out, that one we bent back, welded the tube & sealed with plate the second was on a 9' Fisher about 10 years of gas plowing with the 9', plus pro-wings the pivot & a frame parted, just replaced A frame, the kit was like $ 400, new A frame, pins, chain & all
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I use a reamer to bore them out, I don't have the vision of exactly what kind of pivot you have but if it is the uni pro then you have to be carefull not to make it too tight or it will shear off the bolt! On Ultras there is the pivot bar so it is not a problem. I have done some where I have actually reamed the hole out quite a bit larger and then welded a bit of 1/4" wall pipe in and then put in a longer bolt. Have also drilled, tapped and put grease zerks in the pipe. Die grinder will take a long time and is not uniform. We buy what they call tappered reamers from our local tool supplier. They have a 5/8" three sided shank so they don't slip in the 1/2" drill chuck and they come in sizes from 3/8" right up to 1 1/2".
  4. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

my old boss used to weld a piece of steel plate across it and drill a new hole and put the bolt in that way it would shim it up or try putting a couple washers threw i did that to my last plow it worked well.