1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro plow pivot bar

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snerdy, Feb 10, 2015.

1. snerdy

snerdy Member

Has anyone upgraded their Ultramount Pro Plow Straight blade with a newer style pivot bar assembly? Just wondering what kind of pain it would be.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Need to take it all apart.

3. jryden145

jryden145 Member

It's pretty easy just cut the old pins and use the new style pins with the new pivot bar.

4. dieselss

Really. And is that the only thing that you need to do? Cut pins?

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

It's not so bad.... if the pivot pins are not seized, then beyond them it's a few 1/2" bolts and the big center bolt on the a-frame push bar. There are no modifications required. When I get a plow with seized pins (which is very common as the old bar didn't have grease zerks) I try to get them apart with heat and add zerks but if you have to cut pins a new pivot bar is a sure thing. You can't even order the old style anymore. Just be sure you don't screw up your configuration, that is.... look at what hole the pins were in and put the new pins in the same place when you re-assemble. It's not a big deal, I have had more trouble changing a flat tire than doing a pivot bar.

6. snerdy

snerdy Member

Thanks, lots of play in the old one! Spring time project!

7. K.C.C.

K.C.C. Junior Member

What's changed with the new style pivot bar? Just added zerks?

8. dieselss

Zerks and bracing. Looks different.

9. mishnick

Not a closed tube any more, it's an open channel and the pins don't go under a bolt any more.

10. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

But this would work on the first generation ultra mount plows?

11. dieselss

Yes it does

12. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Anyone have photos of the differnce in the bars? and what the advantage is of this?

13. dieselss

New design. Ask western what the advantage is

14. mishnick

Go to your local Western dealer and look at ANY new plow, they all have the new version. The advantages are redundant at this point because you can't by the old version any more anyway....

I would say there are two main advantages: 1 they have grease zerks build in and 2 they are re-configurable for different height trucks with less effort. Other than that the advantages are all to do with cheaper productions costs which have nothing to do with operation....

Better for the operator and cheaper for Western to build, what else do you need to know?

15. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

The same pivot bar works on Ultramount and Ultramount 2, but your height configuration method would not change on an Ultramount just by changing the pivot bar. the whole lift frame is different. .. so functionally the only difference on an ultramount plow would be the grease zerks.

16. mishnick

I have installed the new bar on old ultras on which I cut off the original pins and used the new pins therefore gaining the easy config advantage. As I recal the bar came with pins so why use old rusty pins that make re-config harder? The old style lift frame does not preclude you from using the new pins, both style pins work fine.

17. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

But those plates that you have to flip over are what change the configuration height. so to get 2 of the 4 heights you'd still have to flip those. that's the hard part.
    as for using the 49645 pins instead of the 67974 and 67977 that have the plates with the slot on them.. I have no idea if that works, or why you would want to use them instead of the correct ones.

18. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

19. mishnick

That's true, if you go from one extreme to another you would have to flip the config plates. Still, what's the point of this discussion? You can't get the old style anymore, if you replace one you have no choice but to use the new style advantages or not. Even if the only benefit is the three grease zerks why would you NOT want the new version?

20. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

The open design of the new beam will not hold crud and rot out like the boxed style either.
    I like the new style,much easier to work with.