1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plow on a half ton????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by caddytruck89, Oct 12, 2008.

1. caddytruck89

caddytruck89 Senior Member

He guys Wondering if anyone has a 7.5 pro on a half ton?? I bought a new 07 silverado do you think it would hold it?? I dont care to much for the looks or lack of bracing on the midweight.. Any one have a midweight and can offer their opponion Thanks.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:eek::nono: only if you but it in the bed

3. Mark@NBCTruck

Mark@NBCTruck Junior Member

4. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

It will handle it fine. My boss has a 07 GMC full 4-door with the shorty short box with a 7'5" pro on the front and my brother in law has a 07 GMC reg. cab SB with a pro on it. Want pics?? I will show you. Oh yeah, I have a 03 quad steer with a pro on it.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

As a wise man once said

"He stuck his head in a alligator's mouth and lived, now he wants you to try it"

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

It will handle it. If you have the truck already and you want a plow then do some research and find one that fits trust me they all will sell you a plow. Thats all i have used since 1998 are half tons and i'm yet to up date to a 3/4 ton. I put a (D) rated tire on the trucks and have had NO PROBLEMS good luck.

7. caddytruck89

caddytruck89 Senior Member

Use it. Don't use it? Don't recommend. It is fine. Can you post some of those pics? Any problems with any of those half tons Mr. dog???

8. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

My future brother in law runs that exact plow on his 03 chev half ton. Has D range tires on it. Timbrens up front and lots of sand in back. I thought he was nuts but hey, plows a couple lots and a bunch of drives. Works out so far for him. Just depends how you plan on using it. Plow your driveway and the neighbors, sounds great. Plowing lots all over town, sounds silly.

9. DJ Contracting

Why does it sound silly thats all i ever done is plow lots all over town and the next town and i still have not had any problems, i do reg. maintenance and don't carry 3 ton of salt in the back my truck the 1/2 ton truck will work, it has for me and nobody can tell me that i'll end up putting more money into my trucks because they are not a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. Know your trucks limits do the regular maintenance and it will make you plenty of money.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

x2.

I've hear it all before my 1/2 ton can do it.
    Then why do they even make 3/4 ton& 1 ton trucks?
    By the time you add the plow, ballast, gas, tools, shovels, salt and you I bet you close or over weight.
    They do not design the late-models of 1/2 ton trucks to be plow trucks.

Next
    ALL trucks have problems no matter how they are maintained.
    so. be learry of anyone who says that they have been plowing for years with a 1/2 ton and
    still have not had any problems.

Sure you can plow with just about anything.
    Think about reliability.

You can't drive a spike with a tack hammer.

11. ght1098

ght1098 Member

This will be my 4th year using my 02 1/2 ton chevy reg cab short box with a 7 1/2' poly pro and a pull plow. Only problem I've had was with the x-fer case clutches and that was totally my fault.

I plow some small commercial accounts and apartment complexes, and then about 30 or so driveways. ( I don't have the exact number infront of me).

It should be fine as long as you know the limitations of the truck and don't drive/plow like a jacka%&.

I also put Timbrens in the front end

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  12. DJ Contracting

You say close to or over weight which is it? I tell you again outside of the normal wear and tear i have not replace anything major on my trucks. The only thing i have had done to the 1993 is had the transmission overhauled and that was a precaution, the trans fluid was brown instead of red i know i could have had the trans serviced but it had over 1000,000 miles on it at the time it now has 160,000 i also replace the exhaust (maintenance) and the truck is still going strong, the 1999 had both wheel bearing replace last year i had the trans serviced @ 99,000 and it's still nice and red @113,000. I wish all that say they can't do it would ride with me and see they do push snow and they do it very well. Now as for the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks they are out there so the people that say the 1/2 ton truck wont work will buy them. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks can and will haul/tow more than a 1/2 ton but were talking pushing snow here and i can tell you i have pushed next to plenty of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks when i was a sub and guess what i got paid the same as their trucks did but thats the market around here. There are several people on this site that are from the Tri Cities and they have seen me plowing with my 1/2 ton trucks since 1998, as a matter of fact one member here bought the snow removal from his dad that i used to sub for and we did Meijer, The Bay City Mall and most of Bay City and they still do. Now when i have a need for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck i'll buy one but right now i don't haul/tow anything that heavy

13. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with a 7.5 pro plow on it, works fine, just be prepared to replace the front end every 2-3 years... ( $800.00 )

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

.................Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    I know all of us who use 3/4 ton trucks are just stupid drones.
    I guess most of the members are stupid then.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  15. matzke3

matzke3 Member

I have a 7.5 western pro ultramount on a 97 gmc 1500. It does handle it but the half ton is a little light. I guess be prepared for mechanical failures, And Ive had trouble pulling out a heavier truck like a duramax HD.

16. DJ Contracting

I never called anybody stupid drones :dizzy: i am just saying that a half ton will work and all you people with 3/4 or larger say they won't and i did clarify that a 3/4 or larger would haul/tow and maybe push more however the guy already has a 1/2 ton truck. What do you want him to do go out and buy a bigger truck just because you said it wont work, remember he asked if it will work he never asked if he should get a bigger truck did he let him get his feet wet and if he wants to get a bigger truck after then thats his choice, he asked a simple question and i answered the 1/2 ton trucks will work (it seem like i keep repeating myself). This truck maybe his daily driver and we all know the difference in ride from a 3/4 or larger truck to a 1/2 ton, anyway i know i'll won't (and i'm not trying to) change your mind or anybody else's mind for that matter, and you'll never will change mine. Now let's no hijack this guys thread and just agree to disagree have a good day.