1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plow Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dubya, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

I bought a new truck and Western Pro plow last december. The second house during the first storm this season, the blade won't lift. I had to hike the blade and take it to the repair shop and lost 5 hours monday. When I pulled it into the bay for them to look at it, the lift control worked. You know how it is when a mechanic is there, the Gremlins behave. he looked it over but there was nothing he could do until it did it again. It behaved the rest of the day but it makes me nervous. He said it could possibly be a bad pin in the plug. If it acts up again, that harness is getting yanked out and trashed.

I was thinking of an easy way to lift the plow when the lift doesn't work, or you blow a hose: use a ratchet load binder. Hook it to both ends of the lift chain and ratchet it up. It works better than a bottle jack and cribbing in the snow.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the controller plug underneath the dash.....Un hook it from the harness..Check the pins..U can spread the pins (very little)out to make sure they are making contact..

When this happen, was the motor running when you tried to lift up the plow using the stick?

3. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

Yes, the engine was running but there was no pump motor noise when I tried raising the blade. The plow would turn left/right but I could not raise it. I tried unplugging and plugging the three plugs at the bumper many times but that didn't do it. The first thing the repair guy at the dealer looked at was the controller plug as you say. He put on a couple more wire ties on too. He did not mention if he moved the pins at all.

4. twinman326

So the pump motor (not engine) was turning at the time this happen.
    Now you saying u think the problem is solve..

As for the controller plug and the pins,I was telling you to check the plug.

5. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

The pump motor was not making any noise when I tried actuating it with the joy stick so it was apparent it was not getting any juice. The repair guy, like I said went under the dash to inspect the controller connection. I presume he checked the plug.

6. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

Presume Is alot Like ASSUME don't do it you make an A$$ out of U and Me

7. twinman326

Good point...

Like I said, check it yourself, and spread the pins out very little.. There is a clue, The "guy" moved the controller harness and the plow started to function.....

Also clean the wires and terminal on the solenoid..The "two"small wires attach to the solenoid are very important

Check the harness from the controller that goes through the fire wall to see if the casing is cut and if any wires are grounding (touching) against the metal.

black/orange is a ground wire from the controller through the harness all the way to the plow lights, and the "S" valves, and attach to the plow frame..

Brn/red comes from the controller through the fire wall hook onto the solenoid

It is up to you if you want my advise and check what I mention...Or there might be a next time when this happens and you will sit in you truck while it 15 degrees outside and your mind is telling you " I shouldn't assume because now I feel like an A$$ because I didn't check"

Here to help, not here to judge...

8. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

I appreciate the feedback. The plow was bought new last december and is under warranty. Thats why I let the dealer deal with it.

The plow lift started working the moment I pulled the truck into his bay to look at it, so he could not affect anything at that point. I hesitate to start moving pins in case it makes things worse. It could be the female plug side too. Females always give me problems. :laughing:

9. twinman326

Sometimes dealers just blow customers out the door..They don't want to take the time to diagnose the problem because they don't make money on the warranty for little petty things..

Why did you post if you really didn't want to resolve the problem?

10. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

A little presumptuous aren't we twinman? Didn't want to resolve the problem? Anything wrong with deferring to the experts at the dealer who sold me the plow which is under warranty? I have found the service there has always been outstanding and I could not ask for better service, so after 15 years of dealing with them, I trust them.