1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plow Angling Issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mustang, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

I have a Western Pro plow with the Ultramount. I am having an issue where the plow raises then drops on its own when you press the left angle button on the handheld controller. All other buttons work. What I have done so far to try to diagnose the problem: swapped the controller with another one, swapped coils, removed and cleaned s2 valve, replaced relays and had the electrical wiring checked out. The dealer I used to use no longer works on Western plows and there is no other one particularly close. I am thinking of replacing the s2 valve. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So when you press left it dropps correct?

3. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

When I press left it raises, remains raised for a second or two then drops without me touching anything.

4. dieselss

Ok. Have you test lighted the functions while your operationg the plow?

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If it only drops when u hit left angle then u have a short in your wires between the coils controlling the left angle valve/valves. If the s2 valve was at fault it would sink all the time. Try testing the s2 coil for magnetism when u hit left. Just pull the cover off and hold a small screw driver to the end of the coil. When its magnetized the screwdriver will be attracted. S2 should only be magnetized when u hit down.

6. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

I brought it to a mechanic to check out the electrical system. He said all was fine there and he thinks it is a hydraulic issue. Granted, this is a regular mechanic who does not normally work on plows.

7. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

It drops normally when I hit the down button. It raises when I hit the left button then, after I release the left button it drops on its own.

8. mishnick

Wow, this is a mind bender! I suspect you have compound (multiple) problems. If it leaks down slowly on it's own even without a button pressed then it has to be the S1 valve as that is the only thing really holding the ram in elevated position on this plow so that is issue #1. If it is raising when you hit left then the S2 valve is suspect, however; you say it angles right OK correct? If that is the case then the S2 valve is working fine??? Next I read that it goes up when you hit left indicating that the S3 valve must be shuttling. In all this I see that all three valves are working at one time or another. That leads me to the conclusion that your controller (joystick or handheld) is simply sending the wrong information to the wrong coils at the wrong time!!! If you have a friend who has the same controller ask if you can try it on yours for a moment as a method of elimination. Or go to your Western dealer and ask if you can just try one before you buy it. Here they are about $350 so it's not something you want to buy unless you know for sure it will fix things.

One more thing I need to ask.... This is the older style pro-plow without the big round plastic shroud around the pump assembly right? It's not one of the new multiplex units is it?

If it's the older style Ultra-mount then it has three individual control wires, one going to each of the three valve cartridge coils. If it's a new one there is only one wire that carries all the signals for hydraulic functions, that's a whole other system with different possible solutions. I am assuming your unit is a few years old right?

Sorry for all the confusing thinking out loud here.... To put it in a nutshell, I think you need a controller to correct all the functions and possibly an S1 valve to stop the blade from sinking.

If I were there I would try bypassing the controller and apply power directly to the appropriate coils with jumper wires to verify that the hydraulic functions are actually OK. But that's not something I would try to explain over text....

9. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

Thanks for the replies here.

I already tried a different handheld controller from one of my other trucks. Same problem so I don't think it's the controller. And the plow was purchased in 2003.

You think there may be a problem with the S1 valve but what I don't understand is why it drops when it is raised by hitting the left angle button but does NOT drop when it is raised by the up button.

I do have another ultramount on one of my other trucks so I guess I could start swapping parts until I find what works? I really would rather not do that. I feel like I'm just asking for trouble by taking apart a set up on another truck that is working fine. You know; kinda like opening pandora's box.

10. dieselss

What happens when you switch plows and trks. Do the problems follow which setup

11. mishnick

This is sounding like damaged wires between controller and grill. Switching plow to another truck will give valuable info. Pandora's box may be a wealth of info! If u can just switch the whole plow not just pieces.

12. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

Can't switch the entire plow set up. Both are ultra mount but one is 2 plug and one is 3 plug. Ok, Pandora, be nice to me!!!

13. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

Not sure if this means anything but I raised the plow a couple of inches using the up button. I then pressed the left button and the plow raised all the way but did not fall this time.

14. dieselss

Then you can't switch pieces, am I correct on this mish? Being 2 totally different set ups. Can you goto a dealer near by and ask them to try there things out? Or maybe throw in the towel and have them look at it?

15. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

It's the s2 valve. I did switch them. The problem truck was then fine and the other truck had the same problem when I hit left angle. Time to order a s2 valve. Thanks for all the help guys!!

16. mishnick

They must both b flowstat units, one two wire one three. Otherwise the valves would not b the same. But the S2 has nothing to do with holding the blade up? Oh well as long as it works. I will take a working reality over a probable theory any day.

17. Mustang

Mustang Member
    from NY

I think I know why it was dropping. I was going back and forth between the raise and lower buttons and the left angle button. When I lower the plow it goes into float mode before the blade hits the ground. When the left button raised the plow it remained in float mode. That caused it to drop on its own.

18. dieselss

It shouldn't. Float is cancelled when another function is pressed