1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro plow 3 wire to 2 wire

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Hysert, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Gents any info would be great Just pick up a new 2500HD and was going to mount my 9' proplow to it that came off the old truck. The plow is a 06yr and has the 3 wire hook up I would like to switch it to 2 wire is this possiable???

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

please guys correct if im wrong but what plow model is it and what truck is it going i dont think you can go from 3 wire to 2 wire cause that third wire is made for the plow operation and makes the plow functional so dissconecting that wire may not make your operatable so i would stick to the 3 wire and ask the dealer to sell you the third wire for that plow

3. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

As long as the parts are still available from Western, you should be able to change the plow over to a 2 plug setup. It would be cheaper to change the plow over to a 2 plug, but you would be better off to change the truck to a 3 plug and leave the plow alone. That way you would be able to hook up to almost any ultramount plow. If you bought another plow, or just needed to move a buddy's plow or something.

Just my .02

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sorry to throw a wrench in your gears but you can't change a plow from three wire to two wire! The two wire system is the new multiplex control system that comes with the Wide Out, MVP plus and HTS. You could buy all the parts from an HTS and make them fit but it would look like a *****'s breakfast. I suspect the cost would make us impractical.

I just went on the Western factory course a week ago and at that time they announced that in the near future they will be converting the new straight blades all to the two wire multiplex system but that will mean changing the configuation of the hydraulic unit and building a shroud to cover the electronics like the Wide Outs, MVP plus and HTS. If you want to run multiple types of plows on the same truck I suggest adding a two wire system unswitched power cable to the grill and the vehicle side control cable for the multiplex system. This would give you four wires out the grill and the option to use two controllers in the cab making it possible to operate any three wire straight blade, HTS, Wide Out, MVP plus and then next year when the new two wire straight blades come out you could hook up to them too.

5. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

I believe he was referring to the old style 2 plug setup that used to come on the ultramounts the first couple years of production. At least that's what I was thinking when I answered his question.

The new style 2 plug for the wideout, mvp, etc would not work for a straight blade. If that is the 2 plug setup he was wanting to change to I misunderstood the original post.

Either way, good luck getting it all setup.
    Andrew

6. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

how do you go on the western course

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Pretty sure have to be a dealer. There was a post about it and I inquires and was told that only dealers or their employees could go. When I responded that they should let anyone who owns or is interested in owning a western go he didn't get back to me.

8. mishnick

I was just on the course in Minniapolis, not sure how much it cost but my shop is a Western dealer so we get an e-mail every year with the scheduals and an invitation. I would think if you really want to go you could get your local dealer to sign you up and just pay them for what Western charges. Not sure if it would be much use though as it is very fast and they expect lisenced mechanics with significant technical experience. There are two courses, one is only one day and the other is what they call the factory course where you spend one and a half days in class / shop and then get a tour of the fabrication facility the other half day. I have never been to that one.

9. mishnick

Back to the original question... if you are talking about the old two wire system that might be possible. The old two wire system had a relay under the hood and a switched main power wire as well as a combination control and light plug. I believe they went away from this because the plugs just didn't have enough pins to expand to the more complicated models like MVPs. I much prefer having an isolated plug just for lights, it makes it so much easier to troubleshoot.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

It can be done. I have done it to all my plows. I even put NiteHawks on them with only a 2 plug setup.

Go to a western dealer and order part number 61438. It is a plow side harness that puts the lights and the hydro all back on to one plug like the unimounts and early ultramounts were.

11. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the help guys.......... Not sure yet what to do order the part #, and new harness for the new truck to mount the old blade or get a new wideout or MVP.... going to try and sell my 8-6 straight if the right price comes in then its decision time wideout or MVP???? which will be tough cause I love my wideout. thanks again guys