1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro or pro plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by allie11, Feb 1, 2011.

1. allie11

allie11 Member

pro or pro plus for a 2000 f-250 supercab psd 7.3L 5200front, short bed. westerns quick match only allows 8ft pro or 7-1/2 pro plus but difference between the 7-1/2 plus and the 8 plus is only 16lbs. im thinking to go ahead with the 8 ft pro plus anyway. Anybody have ay experience with this setup?

2. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

go 8'6 pro plus...whoever told you your truck won't handle it or the mounts won't work is fulla ishh

3. allie11

allie11 Member

yes thats what i thought. Well definitely at least 8ft. Thanks!

4. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

trust me you'll much rather have the 8'6. the 8' will not clear the width of the truck when turning.

5. allie11

allie11 Member

Just a bit concerned about weight. The pro plus has larger/longer cylinders, and also is forward 2" more than the pro. I'll make a decision though. Thanks for your help its appreciated.

6. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

i have an 8.6 pro plus i can sell you, im in nj. the plow is mint

7. allie11

allie11 Member

That's a nice plow. Why are you selling it?

8. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

ive gotta 8'6" proplus..with the western wings.not selling it, just recommending it!

9. allie11

allie11 Member

Nice plow. Why are you selling it?

10. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id go with the pro, i have a pro plus and there are some major design flaws the plague the pro plus. yes the taller blade height is nice and the moldboard is strong but the a frame has a 1'' bolt that takes all the abuse, which wears the 1/2 mild steel on the a frame and you end up with a oval hole in a year. the pro has a different design that helps take some stress off the center pivot.

11. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Good to know!

The Pro Plus actually hangs 5in. farther in front of the Pro.

12. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I just switched from a 8' pro to a 8' pro plus. I measured an add'l 7" in front of the truck. That bothered me until I plowed with it. I put western wings on it and shaved 30% off my time. I will never go back

13. allie11

allie11 Member

pro plus

Cool! so your liking the wings? I have a 8ft pro plus. I'm thinking about getting a set of wings also. Can I ask where you got them and how about price?

14. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Stop thinking and get them, they are amazing! It is unbelievable how much less cleanup there is with wings. I got them at the same dealer that I got the plow at, Bristol Donald in Newark, NJ. They didn't have them in stock so they ordered them and had them shipped right to my office. Took a little over a week. $476 + shipping.

15. allie11

allie11 Member

Nice! Ok thanks for that info.

BTW Somebody mentioned a flaw in the pro plus. They said to watch that big 1" bolt in middle of frame for it wearig into the frame. We'lll have to see about that one. Only time will tell. I was gona go with the pro,but I was really impressed with the solidness of this pro plus plow plus the ability for the wings. I'm happy so far.

16. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

If your pro plus is new, Western fixed that problem with the 1" bolt. I got mine in Dec. 2010 and the 1" bolt is inside a sleeve so It will not wear out the frame anymore.

17. jchart06

jchart06 Junior Member

regaurdless of what the quick match says they all take the same mount up to the 10 footer, I have a buddy that has a 2001 f250 shortbed ext cab diesel with a 9'6" hiniker v and it handles the weight pretty well (for a ford! go Chevy). so the weight wouldnt be an issue. ill have to say go pro plus because (with the design improvement on the piviot) having the diesel the torque you could apply to the blade while stacking and so on will be emence so the more stength you can get in a plow the longer its gonna stay propperly working.

18. allie11

allie11 Member

pro plus

Mine is brad new but Im not seeig a sleeve I just took a pict let me see if I can post it.

plow bolt.jpg

19. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

The bolt is inside a sleeve right there ^^^. Notice that you can only see the head of the bolt. Older models just had a hole in the frame and the bolt was exposed in the middle. You're good.

20. allie11

allie11 Member

Thats a releif! Thanks. Guess no snow today!