1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Flo 2

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cet, Nov 4, 2006.

1. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have the opportunity to use a Pro Flo 2 this winter. There is only the unit, no wiring or switch. Am I correct in assuming that the power source is run through a solenoid and the switch just turns it on and off? I know this will only give me 1 speed. Would 6 gage wire be enough to run the unit or should I get bigger?

Thanks for the help.

2. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Ice Management Thread

:waving: Cet,
    This should be on the Ice Management thread :nod: What are you mounting this on? I know from the factory they recommend a 3/4 ton to 1 ton truck for this unit. Which is a bummer becasuse I had a Op to buy one but, isn't a good idea on a 1500 Ram. Your wire Should be no smaller then 10 gauge I'd say. with at least a 30 amp inline fuse. Western offers a variable speed controller for like $210-$215? Also if you go to
    www. Western.com they have installation instructions online. That should be a Great help to you. Let me know how you make out. :salute:

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks PaleRider.

I am going to use 6 guage wire and run it through a solenoid with an on off switch. For what I am doing I don't think I need the variable speed control. I bet the control box is more here as I have just found out that a new motor is $800 and a pair of Pro Plus Wings are $900. I think I am going to find the closest Western dealer to the Peace Bridge Border and go for a road trip.

I am putting it on a 3500 Dodge Dually. This is for small stuff that I get calls for and don't want to use one of the two salt trucks.

I will take pics when I am done.

Thanks,

4. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Wire

:waving: CET,
    I use an On/Off switch myself but, for a 375 Snow Ex what else do you need? I looked at the Western site above. The wiring schematic (?) shows for the Pro Flo 2, 8 gauge. 6 gauge is kinda hard to work with isn't it? wesport Don't forget the Fuse!

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For the last 10 years we have used booster cables to run our power to the back of the truck. In the past it has always been for the starter on the gas engines. Now that we run only hydraulic there is no more of that BS but we never had a problem. We buy a 12' pair and split them in half and then join them to get 24'. Cable tie them under the truck and away you go. The last set of 6 gauge was $15, can't beat that. They are very flexable and easy to work with. I will take some pics when I get it done.