1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro-Flo 2 spreader burning through motors

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by musclecarboy, Jan 27, 2011.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

The title explains it. I have gone through 2 motors and I have no idea what's up. I thought I might have installed it too tight so the second one I loosened up. I thought I was overloading it so I only put 3/4 in the hopper. I need to figure this out ASAP!! Please help!
  2. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

Wiring harness leading to the spreader may be corroded inside sheathing, not allowing proper current to get to the motor. Or terminals may not have good connection on the battery.
  3. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

How old? Are the bearings on conveyor worn or seized? Gear box could be bad and putting too much load on motor.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Is this "pro flow II" a Western product?

If the motor is burning out then I question loose or corroded connections as a cause. This sort of problem will cause a reduction in current flow whereas a motor burning would more likely be from too much current. I would be looking for something that is loading the motor down like a bad bearing or something. Next time you have a chance try turning whatever the motor drives with your hand. Not knowing what this thing looks like or what the drive train is it is hard to tell you what to expect. If it is a direct drive tailgate sander type thing then you should be able to find any drag problem easily. If it is something like a Tornado and your dealing with the conveyor motor then it's a bit more complicated.

If you have an ampmeter you should try measuring how much current the motor draws when it is empty and full. Compare what you find to the specs. This will give you some direction. If I had a bit more detail about the unit I could tell you more.