1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro-Caster - New V-Box from Fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Has anyone else heard of this? Everything about it is bigger and stronger. 2.0 cu yd, conveyor is 16" wide so the angle of the "V" is steeper leading to less "bridging". It has a Vbelt instead of a roller chain, poly spinner and chute and 1 1/4" spinner shaft. More features, but I think that's the highlights - except for the biggy to me. The 11hp Honda. These are not advertised at all and very limited this year. My nearest dealer didn't have one left so I phoned the next nearest. He had three. Now he has two.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

got a pic or know where i can see one?

3. Mick

from Maine

Come on up to my place. I'm having mine installed next Friday. As far as I know, only dealers have any literature. Mine had to make a photocopy of his. There's no picture of it on their Web site.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My guess is that if Fisher has it, so does western. Give them a call as well.
    I also read that highway has Honda power as well.
    Just for curiosity, what is the price of that unit.
    Also when running straight salt the spreader is less prone to bridging.
    Dino

5. Mick

from Maine

Western might, I suppose. I think the nearest Western dealer is in Bangor - a little over an hour from me. Seems like all they would have to do is use red paint instead of yellow. As far as price, I've gotten different prices on the same unit from different dealers. This one was $3395 for the unit. Plus installation, tiedowns, harness and tax. I know other makes offer the Honda, but I'd only found it as an option for $550 additional. Overall, I think this is going to be the best sander available for its type but, maybe, I might be partial to the brand I'm using. If someone uses Western, how about calling your dealer and ask if they have something similar?

6. plowking35

from SE CT

I still like the stainless.
    Dino

7. Leroy

Leroy Junior Member

Saw a flatbed going down the road the other day with three V-boxes. All stainless with the name "New Leader" anyone ever hear of them? Looked like slide ins for municipal trucks.

8. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Mick, do you know if the rollers that you mentioned are all powered or is there just one drive roller ? Also if you could ask your dealer if they might be coming out with an electric drive or as dino mentioned, stainless? Is the belt adjustable? How heavy duty does the belt look ( standard conveyor type )? I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'M REALLY interested in the possibilties of this unit . Any additional info appreciated . :)

9. plowking35

from SE CT

I believe that the v belt is from the engine to gear box. Swenson did this about 3 yrs ago. My bet is that the unit will be available in stainless for 1K more,but I doubt electric drive.
    And those spinners are from MPT.
    Dino

10. Mick

from Maine

JD Plower - Dino is right about the vbelt. It looks like it would be better than a chain. Not sure about adjustable, but I'd think so. I guess that's one of the things I forgot to check. There will be a choice of Tecumseh, Honda or Hydraulic. No mention of an electric. I wanted the Honda and it was only avaiable on the painted at that dealer. I would suppose it'll be available on the Stainless if it's not this year.

Check your PM.

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Mick,I would like to see what this vbox look like could you post a pic on here?

12. Mick

from Maine

When I get mine next Friday I'm going to see if I can take pictures of it, including closeups of whatever anyone wants in particular and post them on here. As far as I know, there are no pictures of that can be posted, like online brochures. The photocopy I have is too dark to try to scan.

13. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats on your new "snow toy" Mick!

Looks like the $ figure converts to about $5500 Canadian :eek: so I think a V-box will definitely have to wait 'till at least next year for me!

14. Mick

from Maine

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I like the look of the spreader a lot. One thought. Can it be had in stainless? While I have some older spreaders that are steel I cannot see why someone in the business would not go with Stainless. The initial higher price is easily made up with the reassurance of the long life of the stainless model. Except for motor maintanence and grease I have yet to have any repairs on a stainless spreader. No rust through. Just wondering why you went with the mild steel.

I do like the honda power and the overall design looks great.

16. Mick

from Maine

Thanks. I wanted the Honda, specifically, and it only came on the Painted this year. There was a Stainless with a Tecumseh. I'm only planning on this spreader lasting for five years, although I really think the useful life will be a lot longer. I don't know how long I'll stay in the business, but if I decide to keep on, then I'll go with a Stainless. Besides, I just like the color. Matches my two plows.

17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Hopefully Fisher will change the models so I can purchase one.

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Mick great looking sander what is the difference from that one to areagular fisher?thanks for send the pics of it your truck looks just as good and I would not want to put any sand in it either.

19. Mick

from Maine

Cat320 - Thanks. As for the differences, can you get to my first post on this thread? If not, let me know and I'll email you. Summarized - 16" conveyor vs 12", steeper sides, more capacity, poly spinner, 1 1/4" spinner shaft vs 1", v-belt from engine to spinner vs chain link, stronger welds, 11hp Honda vs 10hp Briggs/Stratton or Tecumseh, chute designed to bypass spinner for easier emptying leftover material.

20. Mick

from Maine

I added a closeup of the belt from the engine to the spinner shaft.