1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro caster electric conversion

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mpgall26, Jul 18, 2012.

1. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

anyone familiar? I found a cheap pro caster that was converted to electric and not very familiar with the backyard conversion practices. any advice before I grab it would be appreciated

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of info are you looking for?

3. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

got it anyway. 8 ft. stainless procaster $1500 with 1/2 hp motor and seems in good shape. I tested it on a power pack and it seems a little slow but worked well. I'll have to get it all wired to the truck first and I may replace bearings just to start off fresh and test it with a load and play with the gate. I don't really feel like getting into sprocket and pully changes since its really not my forte. I have 2 batteries in the 3500 it's on , but not sure if I should have it's own or not. My go to guy for this stuff moved away and boy do I miss him...lol
    I need to get a solenoid when I wire it, any idea how to know what type or how big??

4. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I use an 75 amp constant duty solenoid.Just make sure it's constant duty or you will burn them out quick. NAPA sells one for boating applications it comes sealed in rubber. Most 1/2hp motors draw 39 amps.

5. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Thanks fireside.

6. coochie100

coochie100 Junior Member

any pics?

hi do u have any pics of the converted unit, i have a pro-caster also, and im tired of the gas motor giving me trouble,, id love to see what it looks like insiide and find some info how to do it