1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Private Road ?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Flake Chaser, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I was contacted by a homeowners assoc. about doing a private road. I'm wondering how some of you bid these. Is it by the foot ? My other commercial is by the hour but it wouldn't take me very long to do this. It's 900 ft of road that's 20 ft wide. I'll be plowing it with a F-350 w/a 8' blade which I normally get $125 per hr with salt/sand.
    Thanks for any input
    Pete

2. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

OK I read post further down on private road but it doesn't seem to help. No way in hell am I plowing a 900 ft road for half my hourly rate. Just doesn't seem right. I have driveways that pay almost the same and are shorter.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not sure what you're saying with that second post, but how long do you think it'll take you for that 900' road? At 20' wide, I'd say it's three passes. Depending on the condition, I'd think maybe 15 - 20 minutes (max). I'd do about 3/4 mi rough road with sharp turns and two hills in 10 minutes with a one ton and 9' plow, but it was only 12' wide.

Why not think of it as a big driveway and charge accordingly?

4. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

In this forum somebody else asked the same question but I didn't see it:blush2:

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Micks driveway idea is great. That's all it really is. Don't forget to allow for your travel time when you bid. The length of time required includes devoted travel. The further off your normal path the more you should charge.

Maybe you could wrap the road and all three drives into one package? then the road would be gravy moneypayup

6. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Well put a bid in for $375 with sand per plow and also bidding on another one for $445 with sand. I told them I would give a discount on driveways. Hoping to get my foot in the door for landscaping next year:). I've got my fingers crossed for now. Should know by Monday on both.
    Pete

7. Mick

from Maine

You bid $375 to plow 900' x 20' ? That's less than 1/5 of a mile. At your rate; you're charging $660 per mile.

I'd be interested in how it comes out.

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, :eek:
    I too would like to hear how your bid came out.
    That's like 2 to 3 hours of pay around here (about the same rates as you charge) for what I think is about 20 to 30 minutes of actual work.
    i think you are way high, I'm interested to hear (and I hope I'm wrong and you get it)

9. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

Private Road Rates Residential

I am in Fairfield, CT. For that size road I would get $200.@1 year, $175.@2 year and $150.@ 3 years, contract only, sanding extra, all attached driveways extra, every 3 to 7 inches of snow.

10. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I tweaked the numbers

3-6 = $345
    6-10 = $470
    10-15 = $750
    15-20 = $875
    The last guy did it for dirt cheap so I'm sure it"ll be a hard sell but contact guy willing to work with me.

Other drive 1170 ft
    3-6 = $375
    6-10 = $500
    10-15 = $750
    15-20 = $975

By the time you get done with fuel, insurance, sand/salt, wear/tear and paying me I don't think price is high and if it's oh well. I'd rather stay home than lose money and I can't compete with the out of work contractor, construction work or suit looking to make money on the side to pay for is $40,000 daily driver :realmad:. I'll keep ya posted

11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

OMG - you might want to think about changing your business name after those two bids.... And you might want a good foot doctor cause it's gonna get cut off in that door.

At that price, that place could be 75 minutes outa your way (one way) and you'd still be making 125 per hour.

A 900 foot by 20 foot curved road is 15 minutes worth of work....

I just don't understand the difficulties some have in the bidding process. It's all how long will it take and how much do we need to bill per hour..... If your not sure how long it will take, work for someone for a year, learn, absorb everything. If you're still unsure maybe just don't bid it. A bid at two or three times the real price will only crush your business name....

Two things that really stand out on this site are:

1) In areas with alot of snowfall, plowers work more often and become more effecient at getting a job done. More often than not, a guy from Buffalo will flat out embarass a guy from Philly. An employee was on the east coast last year and seen this first hand. It's no offense - when you do something nite after nite 30 nites a year, you will be quicker than the guy that works maybe 5 nites.

2) Prices are all over the board....... Chicago pays subs 75 per hour, some places are lucky to bill 50 per hour - why? Who knows and wishing or hoping is just that. Provide a dang good service and bill what the market will bear and then some. In this economy, fraekin loyalty is starting to go out the window.

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i dont blame you at all. i would just as soon sit home than work cheap too.:D

if im going out plowing i want it to be worth my while.

13. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

How much

Well if you look at my post 2007 you will see pics of a road that I do thats 3/4th of a mile long. I timed it last week when he had about 12" of snow give or take an inch. Its a two pass job for the road and the house takes about 10 minuts. Total for the entire job is 30 minutes and believe me when I say its a rough gravel road. I would never charge 375 to do it. I make a good profit on the road but when my normal is 125 an hr how would I justify over 300 for 30 minutes. I do surcharge it though because of its location but that still is no where near 300 dollars. Long roads are fast and easy so theres no real reason to gouge anyone, especially if your looking for other work from them. Just my thought

14. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

it's hard for a NOOB to judge roads i don't think they realize how quick they go. 900' will take no-time i can do it while holding a cup of cofee an talking on the cell phoneLOL but when you take a normal driveway plower and throw him on the road he is lost i think the numbers are HIGH to say the least but i hope he gets the job anyway.

i plow ~40miles for about $100 per lane mile so there is ~10,500 feet in a mile and road plowing is ALOT more enjoyable than drives for me

p.s. i ain't calling you under experianced plowing maybe just under experianced plowing roads

but to answer the Q' at hand.....my price would be about $70 plus a LITTLE drive time

15. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

well......

Just to let all you know yes this is my first"road bid" but on the other hand for another commercial job I get $400 for just over and hour. These are 4 small lots that take me no longer than10-15 min and hit the sander quick on the way out. Gouging NO making money in MY MARKET YES. I price my work by the foot on driveways not how long it will take me. If people don't want to pay my prices fine but those who do get exceptional services.

P.S. I get $1 per foot to edge a flower bed but not more than .50 for plowing and it takes a hell of alot more to plow :confused:

16. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

:rolleyes:sorry i did'nt know your prices........then why don't you turn in a bid for $450X2directions

17. Mick

from Maine

This is not meant to put you down at all. It's just that I think this is part of the problem - sq ft pricing. You can plow a whole lot faster than you can do lawn maint and if you're using the right equipment, it won't be harder on it, comparitively. I ALWAYS advise people (just did it again today on the phone) to price roads by the mile/lane mile; NOT by the sq ft. Set a rate per mi, then adjust for hills, curves, condition of the road etc. It's great to say you give you customers great service and you'd rather sit home than plow for cheap, but at the same time you have to figure out what's the going rate for your area and be competitive. Starting out or branching into a new area, you're going to need something to be a hook. Nobody has an idea of your service until you have done a few jobs.

If you're wanting this job, I'd really suggest either finding out what the going rate is in your area or pay attn to some on here who are fairly close to you. I simply don't know anyone anywhere who gets the kind of money you're talking about. If I could do that, I'd only need maybe three one-mile roads and I'd be set.

re: time per foot for edging vs plowing - I can plow 10' in about one second. How long does it take you to edge 10' of flower bed?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  18. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I do this for what I can to cover expenses and turn a profit. That's it. My market is different than yours Mick. I am in the ballpark on pricing(as told by many customers) and know what other contractors are getting per hour for truck and sander. The last guy that had this account did it for $105 for 0-3" plus $120 for sanding and went up from there but is nowhere to be found. Why isn't he around anymore because he figured out he was losing his shirt.

P.S. Mick, It takes me 4 sec. longer to edge 10' of bed than you to plow with a bed edger. The right tool for the right job;)

19. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Guys, I believe he stated the price included sanding as well as plowing.

20. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Guys, I believe he stated the price included sanding as well as plowing.