1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Private Road Estimate

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TurbDies2500, Nov 6, 2007.

1. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I just got a call for a job with a private road that is 3 tenths of a mile long. It has a circle at the end and it is 16 feet wide all the way down. It also has a small turn off for a fire hydrant. I estimated the square footage to be about 26,000. Just wondering what you would charge for something like this. I am use to small parking lots and larger driveways. Let me know. Thanks

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

keep in mind i havent seen this in person and im in southern maine but....
    340? (just plowing)

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

be easier with pix. how big is the circle at the end? plowing around the fire hydrant as in a two foot area or is the firehydrant off the drive fifteen feet and by a building. few unanswered things. tar or gravel road? figure the sixteen feet to be at least three passes though. more if you have to go back for crumbs. .
    im also guessing this is per push?

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

roads are very fast. no backing up. 16' wide you should be able to do in two passes
    I bet it doesn't take 30 minutes.
    maybe less.

5. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Is it Taylor River Rd?

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, to give you a starting place: I plow several private, hardpack, 12' wide roads and I base mine on $130/mi. But, I'd have a minimum for anything under 1/2 mile. Then add for hills, curves and general condition. Plus, of course, drive time to the site. In your case, add some for the turnoff. Be sure to mark the fire hydrant.

Sq ft is irrelevant.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  7. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

No but I live right next to Taylor River Road, Where are you from? Its actually a new development in Kensington.

8. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Private Road.

I have one road I do for a long time client. Its three quaters of a mile long. Really bad as its in the woods and was cut with a cat. 12 feet wide. This is power for the course in my area of Alaska. I went out as soon as we had a dusting like I do every year with my guys and we back blade all the gravel drives then just let them freeze. When we go back after the next snow then we have a fairly good surface to plow. Much easier on the equipment. During the blizzard this past week I timed the long drive. Two passes, one in and one out. 20 minutes and 10 minutes for his home area. Total time on job 30 minutes.

9. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

How many drives on the road? Any chance of getting them? I start with a base price and then deduct a bit if I get all the drives as well. See the other post, this is what lets me make $500 per hour with a Toyota. Plow a private road 1/3 mile for $100 with 8 driveways each being $30-35, takes 25 mins. I have three of them all at one intersection.

10. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Drives

Unfortunately no. There are no drives on the road. But my client pays me well for keeping him clear. Nice part is hes the Borough manager which has opened a few more doors. I base my rates on 130 per hr per truck

11. go plow

go plow Senior Member

here is a few things that i would think of.
    how much would a sub charge you to do it if your truck went down? could you still make money or break even? the other thing is, do they want it plowed like a road or wait till theres 8 inches on the ground first?

12. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Go Plow

My guy is really cool about his drive. Because he so far out of the way he lets me do him last. So theres usually more snow there then other places by the time I get there. Last winter the truck I use to do his drive lost the tranny. Took three days to get a new one from Seattle. I phoned him and he told me not to worry about it. Him and his wife skied in and out till I got the truck back on the road then this year he gave me 200 more then I was asking to offset extra fuel which was not needed. Sometimes when you go out of your way then others do as well. I have had him going on 4 years now and he says I take care of him better then anyone he ever had and thats a great reference to have.