1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Private Road Bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Breck75, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I am fairly new at this, I am preparing a bid for 2.5 miles of private roads. All of the roads are paved and the 2.5 miles is one way so I figured about 10 miles if you make 2 passes down and back. I'm just looking for a little bit of help on how to bid it. Does anyone know how much salt it would take if they want it salted? Should I charge by the hour or by the push? :help:

Thanks Breck
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Charge by the push. In small, light snows, it really doesn't take that long depending on the hills and curves in the road. In heavier snows, you can still keep the speed up, it's just harder on equipment. On this type road, you'll want to have a snow foil since you should be able to go pretty good. A lot will depend on two factors - how wide is the road and where can you put the snow. If you can just angle the plow and push to the side, it's easier than if you have certain places that can and can not have snow put there. If they're one or two lane roads, it's lot easier than four lane. The ones I have are 12' wide - one trip down and one back does it usually, with either a 7.5' or 9'. As far as salt, I'd figure 1/2 yard per mile - add for hills, curves and shaded areas. You may use less or more depending on conditions. But I don't use straight salt, so someone else may have better advice based on experience.

I charge based on $125 base rate per (lane) mile. Then add for hills and curves. But that's for this area. There may be other factors in your area, such as vehicles in the roadway or other obstructions but I don't have that problem.
  3. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

Hi Breck..
    Mick hit the nail pretty much on the head..that's about average..you just need to remember that some private roads are dirt and stone and you DO NOT wanna use salt on them..it will play a hell come spring on that road..if the road is paved..no problem..either way the important thing is that you have someplace to push off and make sure your first passes are wide enough off the shoulders if possible to allow for windrows if more snow should fall..