1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Priming western pump?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LHL Inc., Nov 6, 2008.

1. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Hello, I just had my motor and pump off my western mvp and had them looked at, the motor was good and the pump was only running 1000 psi so they turned it up to 1800psi. I put it back on and i cant get it fully primed. is there a differince in fluids? the place gave me boss fluid for a western. i did not think there was a difference. please help.:confused::realmad::gunsfiring:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

the oil wont be a problem ,might have air to be bled out yet or maybeea sump pickup tube fell out ? maybe b&b can help .

3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

just went thru this on mine b&b is very knowledgeable . sounds like air in the system and its a major PITA bleed out . what is it doing now ? anything ? now my other question did you remove the pump/ motor and take it to a shop or did take the whole plow to the shop ?

4. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

I removed the pump and motor and brought it to the place. it is starting to get better but it usually does not take all that long to bleed them out in my experiences. I went through and cracked all of the lines and ran it, usually they will work the air out themselves though. When you run both of the wings forward and have the plow in the air it seems like it runs out of fluid but if u add any it just runs out when you have all of the cylinders retracted.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Vivid memories Mike? :D

Define "prime"? It won't pick the fluid up at all? Or you just can't get all the air out of the system?

6. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Just cant get all the air out of the system and like i say when you run all the rams out it seems like it runs out of fluid again.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And what procedure are you using?

8. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

I ran it for awhile and then it got to the point that the drivers wing was the worst so a cracked the front line on the ram and ran the pump for awhile.. it seems to get better but is getting ffrustrating.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to the MVP's. Some take forever to get all the air out :realmad:

Keep following your procedure, make sure the wing rams are level, don't run it too long for one period, and don't run it low on fluid.

You will get it...they just take time.

10. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

what B&B also didn't tell you is . on mine which i bleed and bleed it took well almost 1 gallon bleed to get all the air out just take it easy and take a break and come back :dizzy: i know B&B is smiling because now i'm putting my MVP skills to use now LOL :salute: