1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Primer for repainting plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by OldSchoolPSD, Oct 21, 2007.

1. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Whats a good primer for repainting my plow? Anybody ever try that two-part epoxy primer?

I want a good primer because i will probably using automotive paint on it to match the truck.
  2. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

epoxy primer is the best wont ever rust
  3. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Ditto to that.
  4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

use jet seal you wont regret it
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Whats Jet Seal and where do you get it?
  6. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

its a sticky tack.....for automotive stuff, you primer it, then seal it, then paint it, the sealer will make the paint stick like no tomorrow, i just did a plow beast and diddnt primer it but did seal it

this other stuff is called XIM, its supposed to be able to applied over rust as a primer and gauranteed to keep the rust from coming through to the paint layer for how many years i dont know
  7. wild bill

sherwin williams make's jet seal
  8. wild bill

ppg dp 50 2 part epoxy primer is good but pricey also .
  9. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

cool I'll have to check into that stuff
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Just make sure you get a good clean seal on the primer. Most plows are powder coat paint. It's hard and seals the surface. Sand blast it when you repaint ,so it gives a good surface for the primer to adhere to. If not, it may peal off the old surface. The paint is only as good as the surface below it. If you can afford it, have Imron Paint sprayed on it, the stuff is used on Fire Engines, It's hard as hell. It needs someone who knows what they are doing to shot it.