1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wright48, Dec 19, 2010.

1. wright48

wright48 Junior Member

im not into plowing yet but next year i hope to have enough money to buy a plow and start offering it to my properties. just wondering what the going rates are. Ive heard it from so many people idk what to belive anymore one guy goes by the inch another by hourly and another with a flat rate im in jersey and the compitition is rediculous and i cant belive any of these guys there prices range from making nothing to making a killing. Im freaking confused !!!!!:realmad: If im going to get into this i need some help from experience plowing outfits any help or pricing info would be great.:confused:

2. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

You might want to find another way to make money .

3. wright48

wright48 Junior Member

Thanks dick head your a big help

4. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

For me my driveway prices are tiered. For example, 1"-6" is $40, 6"-12" is $60, 12"-"18" is $80, etc. My prices include sidewalk and walkways as well. Salt or calcium is additional. All my clients sign a contract as well.

5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Have you ever been in business for yourself? You need to know your overhead costs, operating costs, etc. before you can begin to know what you need to charge before you can make money.

Getting on here and calling people names and then asking everyone for their prices is not going to garner you any answers or respect.

We have all worked very hard to figure our pricing and set up our businesses so that we can remain competitive.

6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i love how losers get on here and want experienced contractors to give up there hard earned pricing information. figure it out yourself *********

7. wright48

wright48 Junior Member

Hope you don't network in your area like that or you'll be out if bussiness fast.

8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You must have been thinking to do this for at least a year according to your join date. So I am assuming for the past year you have been on here reading post after post and sucking up the knowledge as it pertains to what you are going to offer next year. Am I correct? If so then I should be safe to assume that you have came across very few posts that have people calling each other names when opinions are given. Also I assume you have seen somwhere close to 500 or so post in the last year that have stated you have to know your costs, before you can set your pricing. So your costs will be different than my costs or the guy thats right down the street. So if I am wrong about you reading and researching all the past posts, or threads, and you just want us to figure out your costs for you and take the lazy way out then maybe your the dick head!!!!!!!

9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Wow this kids ignorance makes me want to punch something.

10. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

If you can't see it, snow is going the same way as grass is. If your area is at $75.00 an hour for a pickup you can't go in at $95.00. It doesn't matter if your costs are $95.00 you are just not going to get it. The real problem is there are to many people out of work who just need to make money. So that is what is killing us right now. Do I think it is going to get better? I'm not sure, but for now we just need to work smarter. I always though that it was harder to get into the snow removal business. However, it seems like it's not. Or alot of people don't know what it takes to run a successful snow business. That is what this guy is trying to do. I'm not saying we should give him all of our years of knowledge, but we should at least help ourselves and gave him the going rate in his area. I read his post and I do think he is in over his head. I think he doesn't know if he is charging hourly or per inch.
    If it's hourly you should charge from the time you get on the lot to when you leave. If you are going to charge per inch, I highly suggest getting a certified weather service report and go off of that and mail a copy of it along with your invoice. That way there are no discrepancies.
    For everyone else commenting, there is no need to call him names, he is starting out just like we did at one time. I don't know of anyone that was an expert in the industry right from the start. Everyone at some point in time has asked for help. There is always something new to learn. If you don't have anything helpful to contribute...it's simple don't post. Life is too short to get your panties all up in a bunch and waste your time posting negative comments.

11. How about $100/inch or $5000/hr try those numbers you should get a ton of takers!!!!!!

12. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

AA I agree with you....and the guys who call him names and don't help him will be the same ones complaining that he low balled them, sometimes a guy cant see the forest for the trees.

It is really no different then the other post about illegals stealing a guys driveways. Everyone wants to dog him for calling a spade a spade....the truth is, sooner or later snow plowing will be like roofing.......everyone will be a pimp and the Mexicans will be doing the work for $10 an hour.

I have seen it happen in roofing. It wont be long until the illegals take over landscaping and cut out the American owners......and then snow removal will follow. Look at how many Hispanics work in lawn mowing and landscaping.

Just saying.......

13. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

You hope who doesn't network like what?

14. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Let me start out by saying I have no Idea who the original poster is. I don't blame him one bit for calling names. The guy was being exactly what he said.

This site is out there to help folks, not to take shots a people. It started at the root of the problem which is when the smart ass told him he may want to make money some other way. If he wouldnt have came on here with his negative attitude he wouldnt have been called a name. Now I never said the original poster was in the right by calling names but come on guys, he came on here trying to get some help........... If you have nothing helpful to say then move on to the next thread.

For the Original poster, I live in Ohio so pricing is gonna prolly be a little different from where you are. Don't worry about what others prices are. You will get work if you are a go getter. A good average round number for a truck hour in my area is around $80 per hour. Doesnt mean you have to charge that though. Just make money bud... long as you feel all worm and fuzzy inside when you get paid after a job thats all that matters.

The name calling was wrong bud, but I cant say I wouldnt have felt the same way..... Good luck!!!!!!!! Hope you make some money!;)

15. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I didnt read you post before I posted mine....... Wish I would have because I could have said that I couldnt have said it better. This is such a helpful site and is absolutely full of negativity. Its a shame, but I have been blessed with lots of helpful posts in the past... Thanks to all that try to help a rookie out.....

16. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I wasn't calling him any names, I just put what he called motodad back on him. Honestly, he has been a member on here for a year, so in that year if he has been thinking about this line of work , then he should have been reading up on things. I read this site for many many weeks before I joined, and I certainly didn't start any threads, or answer questions from other people untill I had a good understanding of things. I had plowed for 14 or 15 years before I ever found this site, and I learned more in about 6 weeks then I did on my own for 14 or 15 years.

17. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I am pretty much a rookie on my own but have done some plowing in the past when my uncle had his own business but your right, I learned a hell of a bunch when I found this site. It is a great site for sure.

I guess I kinda feel his pain in a way because of a thread I started back in the fall. I bought an ex85 snowdogg to put on my 04 chev 2500. I posted pics and what do ya know, most everyone instead of complimenting or saying nice rig, all they wanted to do was make smart comments about how i didnt have enough truck for that plow or how I better get timbrans because my truck wasnt gonna handle it and yada yada yada. Well my truck is plowin snow with the best of them so..............

I just hate to see such a good site get a bad wrap because of smart comments from folks that arent even gonna take the time to HELP which is what the fella asked for...

If ya aint got nothing nice (or helpful) to say then don't post. thats not directed towards you rc2505. I just mean on this site as a whole.

18. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

With my yardman 24"
    $29/hr under 4"
    $32/hr 4" to 8"
    $36/hr 8" up

With my 94 Subaru 6' V Plow
    $57/hr under 4"
    $66/hr 4" to 8"
    $72/hr 8" up

Salting I just feed the chickens at $50 per 100lbs

I'm amazed how well the subaru stacks snow havent had a problem yet getting on top of the pile to make extra room. Yardman is also a way underrated I blow snow into the back of the subaru and take it to the snow dump at 3am for $65/hr hauling fees. I only hire out for little jobs like when I need my sisters kids to shovel underneath the semi trailers at walmart. They make short work of it for only a few bucks and happy meals.

19. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

For the original poster... I didnt take it as your looking for numbers but if so not many will share you can get ideas and rework your numbers from there.
    I did take it as your looking how to bid/price not actual numbers. SO to answer your question about all the differnt ways they are all correct. People price in lots of ways by the inch, per event (24hr period), by the push, hourly and anything else you can think of. Pick what works for you and go from there we use almost everyone of those depending on the accounts and how they are serviced.

20. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

And yes this is what I hate about it. I might have the best bid but the customer was 4 different bid and doesn't understand them. WE all need to just only use 3 different bids.