1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pricing with a tractor

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mulcahy mowing, Jan 26, 2006.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Next season will be my first season plowing (i'll be using a tractor with a 42" snowblower) wont be driving for another season affter that. I just want to get my name out. How do you guys do pricing? by the amount of snow that is on the ground? flat rate per hour? i'll by plowing all residential drives.:help:

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

My pricing goes as follows: If it snows more than 1-1/2", I plow. Now, I'll only plow once if the snow total is less than 4". If more than 4" of snow are supposed to fall, I plow for every 4", at the same rate as if I had only plowed once, but for each time I plowed. So say, we are supposed to get 12" of snow out of one storm (I wish :cry:). I would plow 3 times at say $30 each time. So, at the end of the storm they are billed for $90. Most of my clients' (I have 6 residential drives I plow, sometimes more if we get a real blizzard and people panic) driveways are about 60' long, and 2 cars wide, and most are around $25-35 for each plowing.
    Hope this helps! :salute:

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

My pricing goes as follows: If it snows more than 1-1/2", I plow. Now, I'll only plow once if the snow total is less than 4". If more than 4" of snow are supposed to fall, I plow for every 4", at the same rate as if I had only plowed once, but for each time I plowed. So say, we are supposed to get 12" of snow out of one storm (I wish :cry: ). I would plow 3 times at say $30 each time. So, at the end of the storm they are billed for $90. Most of my clients' (I have 6 residential drives I plow, sometimes more if we get a real blizzard and people panic) driveways are about 60' long, and 2 cars wide, and most are around $25-35 for each plowing.
    Hope this helps! :salute:

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Yes it did you just made my day! thanks

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

When we plowed with a tractor/blower we only charged per push. It's only really good for residentials. Plowing multiple times in a storm is not neccesary with a tractor and blower. It's just a waste of gas and unless the storm lasts 3 days, the clients would prefer you only came by once.

A blower should handle the biggest of drifts, etc... in fact, 4" of snow is easier to blow than 1.5" of snow. It's cheaper on fuel to wait for the storm to finish.

Plowing with the storm is more for commercial accounts that must be kept clean and trucks that can't push 4' of snow.

I also find with the blower I have customers who don't call for the storm but call 4-5 days later when the drifts are exceeding 5

Also, in rural areas I find a large portion of customers only want me to come when they call. This is fine because snow coverage is inconsistant. One week they might need to be plowed, the next storm not. Aswell, there are customers who call after 1/2" wondering why you havn't been there.