1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pricing sidewalk snowplowing and salting

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Icicles, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Icicles

Icicles Junior Member
    from WNY

Hi All,

I am in the midst of starting a snow plowing and ice management business in NY and would like some assistance.

Firstly, I am about to bid on a contract for a 2 mile sidewalk - all portions to the curb including corners and sections where city plows dump snow onto walkways and ramps to be plowed and salted.

How do I price this out?

Also, I was looking at Ventrac tractors with snow plowing attachments like snow blower, broom, v blade and drop spreader..

Please help. Thanks!
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Ventracs are awesome(i'd imagine) but pretty pricey, price depends on what you are using, your cost to do it & time it takes. Salt is usually marked ud 200-300%
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How many lane highway is the coming off of?
  4. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

No idea what you do in the off season but if your just getting into snow removal and don't have much experience with it I would not get involved with a contract like your asking about, but that's just me. Unless you have another use for the ventrac that's a good chuk of change to be investing in something you are not %100 sure on.

I would start off with the basic driveways and lots to get your feet wet with trucks and equipment you could use otherwise or easily sell if you found out it was not for you.

Your bid to me is an odd request to start off with. I may be off base and don't know your background, but I plowed and worked for another company for 7-8 years doing condos, industrial facilities, residential, small schools and to be honest I would have no idea how to bid several miles of side walks, a odd/ unique bid to me anyway, but mabye not for your area.
  5. Icicles

Icicles Junior Member
    from WNY

hi.. thanks for all the feedback..

i am planning on doing landscaping in the summers with the ventrac..

i spoke to a bunch of folks and they said to stay away from sidewalks..

the sidewalk is in village and has be to spotless during the winter season.. it's 2 miles each way, so a total of 4 miles.. there are no highways and its just a 2 lane, very busy street that attracts a lot of foot traffic.

not only will the sidewalk need to be plowed and salted but all the snow buildup will need to be removed too.

bidding ends in 3 days.. if the numbers makes sense, then i will do it.. if not, then its not worth my time.

any suggestions?
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What town is this? Most towns /villages do their own.
  7. TFC

TFC Junior Member
    from Montana