1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pricing salting

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by frndinalowplace, Aug 20, 2005.

1. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

this is what i figured:

BAGS COST per bag

1-5 $20-30
    5-10 $40-50
    10-15 $60-70
    15-20 $70-80
    20-25 $90-100

I do not have a spreader yet but plan on purchasing one soon. it will probibly be the snowex 575. do u think thos prices are good or not. i can get a 80 pound bag for 5.00 :help:

2. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

From what Ive seen it seems to be about three times cost applied.

Correct me if Im wrong guys.

Whats an average coverage area for a 50 lb bag of salt?

I know it all depends but for standard salting would you say 15 to 20K?

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Killswitch

Are you asking if a 50lb. bag will cover 15,000 to 20,000 sq. feet?

4. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

confused?

From what Ive seen it seems to be about three times cost applied.

So lets say i used 5 bags at $5 bucks a bag [80 pounds] i should charge:

5 X $5= 25 25 x 3 =75 bucks is that correct now that is total price right not per bag?

please reply

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That would be correct. I think I would have a minimun though. If you have to drive somewhere to put down 2 bags I would want more then $30. Bag salt is expensive compared to bulk. As long as you are doing smaller places you would be fine. To put 30 bags in one lot for $450 might be expensive. Bulk salt is less then 1/2 price and we load it into a V box salter so I could do the larger places for a lot less then you and still make good money. I have less overhead, I don't have to handle bulk salt as much as you have to handle the bagged.

There is good money in salting and you should do well at 3 times cost. If you only go through 50 bags a night you will make $500.

6. frndinalowplace

from 7hills

thank you i get it now it looks like that is the easiest way out of like 500ways to price salt thanks for your help we would never buy a v box. we have a cap on the truck. plus is around 3500 for a decent one.

7. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I have a snow-ex sp-1075 with the swing mount for sale in Dayton Oh if you're interested in a good used spreader. $1050 obo. Used for two seasons and works perfectly. I am going to a v-box, the only reason I am selling the spreader. 937-604-0272 or e-mail at fortydegnorth@yahoo.com. Thanks, Jason.

8. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Going rate in our area is $.35/pound. Not too many guys spreading bulk, and the price per pound is easy to figure how much you have applied.

As far as fortydegnorth trying to sell his spreader on everybody else's post, maybe you could try to sell in the section for used plow and truck equipment. People do look there. Just seems to make more sense than jumping in on everyone's post. Not trying to be a jerk, just thought it might help you sell it if it is listed where people are looking for equipment for sale.