1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bobbyjoonn, Oct 13, 2009.

1. bobbyjoonn

bobbyjoonn Junior Member

Can someone tell me how you guys price out your salting?
    Do you charge hourly?
    per load?
    or both?
    and if so how much for each.
    i can get salt for $93 + delivery charges based on 200 ton purchase
    thanks in advance

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Most charge per application. Are you just now trying to figure out how to charge for $20,000 worth of salt? Do you have that much sold?

3. bobbyjoonn

bobbyjoonn Junior Member

This is my first year plowing, but since i been in commercial business for while i have good client base. so far i priced all my contracts on per hour + the cost of salt but there is this new customer i'm trying to get and he wants different way for me to price out his contract. all the other ones are based on hourly charge plus the cost of salt, the new customer wants only one price. now since it's my frist year and not that much experince i don't know how much salt it will require to salt his property. what i need to know is first of all how much do you guys charge per ton? assuming you purchase your salt at my cost price of 93 + Delivery cost

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you do some searching you will see it varies. I have seen 20 cents a pound, and $250/ton.

5. bobbyjoonn

bobbyjoonn Junior Member

how do you price out spraeding the salt?
    do you have an hourly charge on top of the cost of salt? if so do you have a minimum hourly charge?
    or do you just go by the amount of salt they use?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The numbers I quoted are applied. Materials and labor.

7. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

I charge $ .25 per lb or rock salt pluse a Min $50 service fee on smaller lots, some of my larger lots $ 150 to 200 service fee . $.35 per lb on sidewalk salt