1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by morrisj2, Aug 18, 2014.

1. morrisj2

morrisj2 Member
    from Toronto

How does everyone price salt for residential customers? Do you put a cap and if so when and how?
  2. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

Are you talking one drive or are you like me and talking 86 of them plus the streets
  3. morrisj2

morrisj2 Member
    from Toronto

Just residential driveways, sidewalks, walkways. When you are giving a price to a customer how do you calculate the price for salt?
  4. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

I charge 35.00 per 50 lb. bag of Calcium Chloride, applied.
  5. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

it is 20 dollars for a bag of basic ice melt, calcium or side wall salt is 25 per 50. On some of my smaller driveways where It is 2 cars wide and the length of my truck it is usually half a bag and I be nice to my regulars and only get 10 to 12. I am also only paying 3.86 for a bag of salt and 6.25 for sidewalk salt.
  6. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

You bag price is only 3.86 man where in Indiana are you? I'm coming to your supplier. Mine shot up to 4.99 per season
  7. mikeplowman

mikeplowman Senior Member

i am paying:
    $2.40/bagged rock ($96/ton)
    $10/ ice melt

i charge:
    $15 a bag of rock applied
    $25 a bag of ice melt applied

most of my drives are between 3/4-FULL bag of rock

good luck!!!
  8. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

2.40 on bagged want to sell me some for 3.50?
  9. ttool

ttool Junior Member

Due to last years demand, this years allocation, and trucking issues, salt pricing is up. The cheaper the bagged price the more sodium chloride. If you are paying in the $4 range, then you might as will use your bulk product. $5 product should be treated. $6 and $7 product tends to be more of a mix than a blend (producers generally color it and add 5-10% calcium). Those products generally have no uniform particle size. The $8-$10 products tend to have more uniform particle size, contain anti-caking/anti corrosive inhibitors(nothing like saving a buck a bag only to find twenty bags of rock on the shelf next season $6x20=$120... no savings there). Calcium and Magnesium should be around $13-$16 per 50# bag. Sell your customer on using a better higher cost product. cheaper is not always better! Cheap products cause the most amount of damage to concrete and metals. Given more expensive products, you should be able to charge more too. It could be a very interesting season, so good luck.