1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing salt into a seasonal contract

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Feb 23, 2009.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

For my seasonal contracts, ice control has always been included. Generally, I use salt/sand mix and apply as needed during and/or after the storm. I used straight salt on two storms this year, both pretreating and post treating and was very happy with the results. I would like to switch to all salt next year, but obviously the cost difference is the concern. I was thinking of removing the seasonal sanding price from the contract and charging a per app price. The customer's required monthly payment would be less, but the monthly salt app charge would vary. Its a hybrid version of a seasonal contract, but would reduce the sticker shock of the potential price increase. I would explain the benefits of salt v sand/salt mix, better melting, residual use, less mess in the spring, etc. I wanted to get some input from the board. Local sand/salt mix price $35-40 ton, bulk salt is $100-110 ton. Thanks for the input.

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

on all my contracts, salt is always an extra.
    i charge $.15 to $.50 a pound to spread bulk.
    most salt sand is usually 20% salt and 80% sand so pure salt is going to work better, obviously.
    Now, if you want to make even more money, buy a small 12v pump, 30-100 gallon tank, and a
    1gpm fan nozzle (110 degree).
    position the nozzle to spray on the salt just before it hits the spinner.
    you will use half as much rock salt and this will work better than just plain rock salt
    however you should still charge a though you were using a full ton instead of just half a ton, that is just some of your profit
    and as for the liquid, i can tell you how to make it for about $.68 a gallon.
    just give me a shout back

3. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Most seasonal customers have seasonal contracts for one reason, security in knowing what they will pay for the year no matter what happens.
    By doing seasonal plus salt you may be saving them money upfront, but you are taking away that security.

I would offer your customers a choice between which one of your two options they want. Some will be happy to retain the security and pay the higher price for the better service, some will like to roll the dice and see what kind of winter you have.

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You must be salting very small properties.

Either that or you are a super hero getting away with charging $300.00 to $1,000.00 per ton! :dizzy:

5. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Oh TCLA it gets even better than that. Read his other posts, he actually only spreads half a ton and charges that much. It's his miraculous pre-wetting system that cuts salt usage in half and melts to -60 degrees. Just PM him and he will sell, I mean tell you all about it!

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

He's new to me...........I'll keep an eye out.

Love the super heros.........:nod:

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

This thread is cracking me up!