1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Questions ( Rock Salt for sale)

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by kegz_lawn, Jan 2, 2009.

1. kegz_lawn

kegz_lawn Junior Member

Hi, I own and operate a snow removal service, residential only. And work for my older brother, who has all kinds of equipment. I bought a pallet of rock salt, and need to sell some or all of it. They are 50 lb bags, and i am asking $10 per bag and i deliver them, dose that sound to high? I put it on craigslist. I live in the Toledo area.

Also is anyone interested in buying some, will sell for $8.50, if you buy all of my remaining 42 bag. I have had them for less than one week, and they are not hard.If you are interested, feel free to email me, kegz_lawn@yahoo.com can send pics if you want.(sorry i dont know how to put pics on, i am new)

2. kegz_lawn

kegz_lawn Junior Member

3. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

50# bagged for $3.90 here . Are you folks experiencing a shortage ?

4. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

for that price I'd have you spread it on my lots too.

5. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I'm paying 4.10 a 50# bag

6. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

4.40/50# here in MI, or 6.30/80#.

Home Depot and Costco has it for a lot less than 10.00, also.

7. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

Those prices must be for Solar water softener salt?

Cheapest ICE MELT Iv'e found is 6.86 per 50# bag.

8. lawnprolawns

Ice melt or rock salt? I guess we should clear this up. I just picked up 25 50# bags of "Sidewalk Ice Melter" (cal, sodium, mag, and potassium) for 6.50/each. Rock salt is 4.50/50# and 6.30/80# delivered, or about 5.60 picked up. (I have 540 80# bags payup)

9. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

I think he meant he was selling calcium.

10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Were are you getting it for $3.90????

11. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

3.99 a bag for rock salt in this area

12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just 50 minutes south of the op I am buying 50# bags of Morton Saftey Salt for 4.50 a bag.

13. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I just got 42 ton 4 bucks a bag here in cincy and stored in heated wharehouse till I need it 24/7.

14. kegz_lawn

kegz_lawn Junior Member

Ice melter

sorry, i wasn't very good at describing it, it is snow and dice melter, it contains Rock salt. I get it for 4.25 per bag ( 208.25 a pallet) My brother's girl friend works at a place that sells it, we get it with her discount. There is a shortage, walmart sells 20# bags for $7, that is $17.50 for 50 lbs. Menards sells there's for $16 per bag.I bought it to increase my profit, and my clients ddont want it, and i have trouble transporting it.

15. lawnprolawns

Well that's not good is it!?

Next time see if you're going to use the stuff before you buy it... might save the hassle.

16. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

If you get it for 4.25 a bag and everyone else does too I would think you would have a hard time doubling or tripling the price. The only way you could sell it for that price in my opinion is if someone couldn't get it or if they were too lazy to go buy it. Try craigslist, someone will think its a deal!

17. kegz_lawn

kegz_lawn Junior Member

no, you have to buy at least 1 pallet, any with an employee discount it is $208.25, if i didnt get it, it would be over $300. so, i could sell it to a snow removals service for 295 and still make about $100. But we are having a salt shortage like most areas, i live in a township, and the only salt or any typr of ice melter is on the road a school is on. To buy 1 ton not bagged is up to $150.

18. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

You are in Chicago? Where are you getting it for that price? Back in the Fall, yes. But now I don't think you can get it for that.

19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

there is no shortage in toledo.let alone anywhere else.you got had on the price you paid for that.

20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

IDK if it is a shortage but bagged product is getting hard to get here