1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ramair2k, Jan 22, 2005.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Ok, right now I have a 2002 F-150 Super crew FX4. Currently as I am writing this we have about 6-7 inches of snow on the ground, with an expected total accumlation of 24-30". I need a plow. Can anyone give me a ballpark figures as to what a Diamond DTE 7.5 steel plow would cost? Here is a link to the plow.

http://www.meyerproducts.com/products/details.asp?EquipmentID=76

Also another question....

plowing would mainly be a "weekend" thing for me because I have a fulltime job, that is mostly more than 40 hours a week. I am a field engineer for Comcast. My question is this....what do you guys do for work, that allows you to plow during the week and at night, without being wicked tired the next morning for work?

I am mainly thinking about getting a plow because i knwo that i can make alot of money doing it on the side. I believe the city will contract you out at 55.00 an hour. Not sure if you need a plowing license, (if there is such a thing) or not. Would i be wasting my money on getting a plow seeing as though i have a fulltime job already, and would only be able to plow on the weekends??

Thanks

2. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I can't answer your first question but I'll try on the second. For us excavation is our main business in the spring, summer and fall. We make enough during that time to cover expenses during the winter. We have the equipment so why not put it to work for some extra cash? This allows us to do nothing but wait for it to snow 24/7. I know we couldn't provide decent service if our clients had to wait until we "got off work". There are some out there who will though so you should be able to put some of them on your list to help pay the bills. If you work for the city they would want you to be available 24/7 also so I don't think that would work out for yourself.

3. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. My father actually works for the city DPW, so i am sure that I could sign up, but make sure i only get called on weekend events. The commish is a family friend for years, im sure he would have a problem with it.

Ya thats exactly it, i would be able to help people out unless it was on the weekends, or until i got home from work....sounds stupid i know :rolleyes:

4. Ian

Ian Member

It can work out with the right schedule. I work as a aircraft mechanic full time but I have the second shift, 4pm to midnight. I just look at the weather and either plow on my way home after midnight or in the day. I adjust my rest time around a little each day.

5. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I wouldn't call it stupid, that's how alot of us start out. If you sign up for weekend work can you get off at a decent time Sunday night for some rest before work on Monday? If so then I'd say try it out, see how you like it. You'll know soon enough if full time plowing's for you or if you should just plow on a smaller scale. Good luck.

6. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Thanks fellas for the replies. Right now I am in the process of pricing out a curtis and a diamond. I am looking at the diamond a bit more because the dealer is 5 minutes from my house....literally. I am just hoping that the whole setup will be no more than 3k installed.....we'll see :drinkup:

7. Ian

Ian Member

You can always try used for your first plow. I got my current plow and mount on E bay. I had to find one close as shipping one is out of the question. This also made me spend a little more than others I saw on E bay. I cleaned everything up and painted some of the parts. It looks as good as new ( it was used only two years, not commercially). I have less than two grand into it and that includes some spare parts that I bought.