1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by crossboneracing, Mar 15, 2011.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Looking to possibly sell my 1 ton but unsure of a fair price for it. Its a 2000 K3500 chevy. 454, ls, fully loaded, cd changer, subs, rhinoliner, whelen partriot lightbar, fisher push plates and wiring. Truck is in good shape but needs a set of tires. I was thinking judging by the junk on craigslist thats priced far higher it would be worth around $6k? Truck runs awesome and motor and tranny were replaced about 40k miles ago. Truck as 124,000 on it.

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

3.70 a gallon in Mass you can ask 6k but probably will never see it. These trucks are about to take a hard hit it the resale value

3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Hope you get want you need. But to buy a truck with a 454? That truck is going to have to bring in a lot of money to justify owning it. That, and there is no way a 2500 or 1500 can do the job.

4. crossboneracing

To be honest with you guys, the mileage is about the same as both my 6.0 chevy's. I get around 9-10 around town (same as my 6.0's). I know with gas going up thats not a selling point but I dont see how its any worse than any other non-diesel 1 ton truck?

5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Do you have any pictures?

6. crossboneracing

Heres a pic of it from last year. Looks pretty much the same as now

[​IMG]

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Is it a 2000 ? Those side view mirrors I thought were only used up till 94, the 95's and up have the black plastic mirrors

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I switched to those on my 97, they look older but they are far better for towing and plowing. They bolt right on in the same three boltholes. That's also a diesel bumper on the front. Well, not strictly diesel, but it's extremely rare to see one on a non-diesel. I did see one on a 6 lug 2500 with a 350, no idea how it came out of the factory like that.
    Most 454s didnt have that bumper, even with a big dually towing package.

That's a beautiful little work truck. I'd think hard about keeping that and getting rid of a 6.0. I see stuff like that all the time for $5-$6K, particularly used car dealers, they'll ask even more than that.
    Downside, it's already been a work truck, that scares me because a lot of contractors (landscrapers) put any dope-smoking kid they can find in it and they beat the snot out of it.
    Upside, it's a Chevy 1 ton. Will work hard for you until it draws it's last breath.
    If you want great fuel mileage, get a Prius. Of course, the towing and plowing capability will be greatly diminished, but...

I like it for 6 grand. I'd like it even more with a 6.5 turbodiesel in it. I wouldn't like it much with a 350 in it. And I don't like 6.0s at all. JMO

9. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

really you want a 6.5? With all those pump issues

10. Detroitdan

the pump issues are a myth. the real issue is the pump mounted driver, which will fail prematurely if it is not relocated to a remote mounted cooler outside the engine compartment. When the PMD failed, the stealerships had a choice, replace a $400 part under warranty, or replace a $2500 injector pump under warranty, paid for by the manufacturer. A lot of perfectly good IP were replaced. GM, seeing the high number of replacements at the dealerships, extended the warranty on the IPs to 11 years or 110k miles.

I just sold the 97 in my sig, best truck I ever owned, it may not have been the fastest diesel pickup around, but it had the power to surprise. But hey, I love the fact that 6.5s have an undeserved bad rep, it keeps the prices low!

11. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

That is a nice looking truck. Is there any rust on it? $6,000 seems fair and is around what those kind of trucks are going for around here. Most of the one tons here for sale are duellys though.

For reference, I paid $8,750 in Nov. 2007 for my 98 K3500 with the 454/auto and it is fully loaded. I also had to spend $750 to fix the roof because it had some previous damage that was not repaired correctly near the front three clearance lights. Here is a pic of it.
    [​IMG]

12. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

If those pump issues were a myth why did the milatry make humvee's come with Db2 mechanical pump not the Ds4 electric pump and there blocks and cranks were made stronger. The 6.5 was a headache.

And u say the pump issue were a myth. Yet you post the major issue about them?:confused:

13. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

those trucks run forever it seem my parent had one now there 01 on the other hand = junk

14. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Pumps didn't always physically fail, the controller that drives it, gets heat soak and kills it. 146k on my old 6.5l, was having the same issue typical issue with dying and stumbling and was fixed with a new PMD. Sold it with 168k on it and still going strong.

The h1's had started with a 6.2l, then were moved up to 6.5l with mechanical injection. Kept that way for ease of repairs in the field.

15. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Did the h-1 ever get switched over to d-max alison and didn't they put cummings in the reg cab hummve h-1's I also have a 6.5 and would buy another as long as maintenance was done, and yes an external pmd prolongs it but the pumps do eventually fail.I did a pmd at 100000 miles and at 109000 the pump had to be done just in time before the warranty expired. As far as they go in my eyes they are probably one of the cheapest diesels to run, they only hold 6qts of oil compared to my 7.3 that you count oil by the gallon. They don't need new injectors every 30thousand like some diesels and the turbo's are very good and last a long time. I don't no much about the 454 but I'm sure it is solid as were all the engines they put in the c/k's. I actually think on paper the 454 can tow more legally than the 6.5

16. Detroitdan

The pump issue was not really a pump issue, it was a design flaw with an electronic controller mounted directly to the pump. The intent was that the fuel flowing through the pump would take heat away from the PMD. In reality, the engine heat combined with the heat the PMD itself creates, was too much for them. Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, upon shutting the engine off and stopping the fuel flow, the PMD was exposed to heat soak, over and over. I'm not saying the 6.5 doesn't have an issue, but it's usually not the pump, it's a fairly cheap part that's easy to replace and even easier to correct so that it doesn't keep happening. I know pumps do fail, but it's likely a very small percentage of what they were blamed for, and probably no higher pump failure rate than other diesels.

As to the military, I don't know this for a fact but what I've heard and what makes some sense, is that the electronics are susceptible to EMPs in the field, and they wanted vehicles that could continue to run if an electro-magnetic pulse was set off in the vicinity. Thus the mechanical pumps. As for the stronger blocks and cranks, the military demands items to be overbuilt. The standards are higher than they are for regular passenger car use.

17. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree with Dan on this. I would take a 6.5 anyday of the week. Easy to work on. They get great fuel mileage compared to the newer diesels, and the best part is they are cheaper to get, cause everyone hates them. I love mine, and am looking for another to add to the fleet.