1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing question and contract.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone has priced plowing like this?

Total # of pushes per year would be billed like this.
    0-20 = $X
    21-30 = $X
    31-40 = $X
    41 + = $X

Call backs, Drifts, entrance ways. would be conciderd 1/2 a push.
    12" or more would be conciderd 2 pushes.

A Push is conciderd clearing the serviced area once.

Seems like it would be more effective and less complicated than the normal, Per inch, Per Push, Per Season billing that most companies do.
    And that it would avg. out in the end and be better for both sides.
    As for per plows the homeowner could get screwed if it snows a lot and plower would be if it didnt snow.
    Fotr sesional contracts homeowner would be great if it snows a lot and plower screwed. or VS/VS.

Being by Buffalo NY we never know how much it will snow.

Anyone like or dislike this idea?

Also do you make notes in you contacts such as:
    1, That you will make every effort to plow snow but will not during driving bans etc. (so customer dosnt call and wonder why its not done on time in a blizzard)?
    2, Customer is responsible for keeping serviced areas clear of all vehicals.
    3, You accept no responsibility for trips/falls or other accidents on serviced property, and what is the proper way to word it?
    4, Damage caused by you equipment will be fixed at no charge in spring.
    5, Salting is not included in the contract.

Just tring to make sure my ass is safe. and how to properly word a contract. All comments will be greatly appreceated!

2. mike pinter

mike pinter Guest

snowplowing contracts

hay whats up im from buffalo too , bout your per push thing i think it might scare some people away my contract is good i think let me know if you want a copy

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I am from the school of put in whatever you want and see if it flys. Many times it wont, some times the customer has no idea or doesnt care.
    I have a clause that states we reserve the right to pull our drivers from the road if WE deem it unsafe. However during driving bans, plowing is cosidered an emergency activity, and you wont be forced off the road. But common sense should be followed.
    Dino

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have a simliar statement to Dino's. Mine is to the effect that if the state shuts down or we feel plowing is unsafe that we can stop. This allows us time because most businesses should not be open and people should not be on the road. Essentialy this gives us a catch up factor in our plowing times. If the storm is bad and we are having difficulty keeping up this allows us a little leeway.

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

ok, I got the pricing thing down and set.

I also included that
    1, "the homeowner and not (co.name) will be responsible and or liable for and and all injuries/accidents/damage on the serviced property including but not limited to trips, falls, accidents, etc..."

2, I will place making staked on property not to be moved or removed untill end of season by me

3, "customer will make every reasonable effort to keep serviced areas clear of vehicals and other obsticals"

4, all damage caused by my equipment will be repaired in spring at no charge to customer.

5, every effort will be made to provide service. in the event of a driving ban or blizard conditions service may be delayed.
    and in extremely heavy snofalls one entrance/exit for a vehical will be made with a follow up trip to finish.

never know how bad it can get last year we got 25inches in less than 24hrs starting right after the morning rush. and everything was shut down for 2 days. county and state plows were getting stuck or ending up off road. a fire pumper got stuck in front of our house answering a ems call. thay ended up walking to it.
    So I think I've coverd myself pretty good.
    Thanks.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

While you are typing the contract up, make sure you use spell check. If you send a contract out with as many typos as are in your posts, it may unerve some customers.
    Dino

7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

LOL... while what Dino said was funny, it's also true. Your companys appearance is almost as important your level of service. The thing is, they usually see your appearance BEFORE your service. That's why it's very important to make it look like you mean business. It's reassuring to your customers to see a well thought out, well worded contract (with proper spelling), and properly maintiained equipment.

Tim

8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

LoL. Yeah thats done. Apearance is a big part. So Contracts are short, simple and to the point. Include everything and not filled with small annoing print that scare people away.
    I just picked up the truck and plow on wed. So that looks great (2001 K2500HD LS w/ Western V).
    Sorry about all the errors in my posts.
    Thanks.

9. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Good choice in truck and plow though!!!

Tim

10. jlmac

jlmac Guest

First post, hello all. This site is a gold mine of information, thank you all who post.

I've been plowing for 18 years, currently plow with (5) 3/4 ton pickups (Chevy), (3) 1 ton Chevys, 1 Ford F450, (1) New Holland skid steer. I rent a 2 yard Volvo loader. We do most of our walkways with walker mowers with snowblower attachments. I keep most of my top people on salary, some on part time and hire subs. I only plow commerical lots and some hotels.

My question is: I am bidding on a large (500,000) square feet corporate headquarters. I will need the loader for sure and some other trucks. I have set amount contracts for all my properties so I get paid whether it snows or not. This has worked out pretty well as I price high but give great service.

I would like some help pricing this complex. I would appreciate all comments and encourage emails for those who feel safer talking numbers in private.