1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing per parking stall?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Snow Picasso, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

I just heard that some companies bid jobs by counting the parking stalls and multipling by $1.25. That price includes the drives and entrances. Have you ever heard of that! What about bidding per square feet. How much do you charge for that? I just bid by looking at the lot and estimate my time. I looked at one of my accounts and figured it at $1.25 per stall. It was half the price of what I'm charging them. Let me know if this is BS or is there really a formula for figuring by the parking stalls.

Thanks Guys :salute:ussmileyflagwesport

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It's BS. I've measured numerous sites throughout the years, and for many of them I included counting parking spaces to find the correlation between the two. There isn't one. It doesn't matter if you are comparing office complexes to office complexes, retail centers to retail centers, etc, etc. You will not find a common relationship based on the number of parking spaces to overall square feet.

3. Snow Picasso

I think it's BS too. Even if you went by sq. ft. you couldn't be apples to apples! You have to deal with obstacles, snow placement, etc.

4. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I know guys who price that way. I did, till 2 years ago. Its a quick way to price a job.
    I will tell you, that price of $1.25 per stall is BS.
    But you did mention you priced a job, and after you divided it by stalls you came out to $2.50 per stall. If someone told me that price I would respond in same.

Most stores or malls will try to get the most parking stalls possible. So pricing by the stall is a quick measure, and works pretty well. Now start pricing at $10.00 a stall and that last job you quoted goes up 400%. There are guys who charge $30.00 and even $100.00 per stall.

I stopped doing this because I wanted very accurate measures. Just takes more time.
    But if I'm in a hurry I still count stalls

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Agreed. Even when you come up the same square footage on two sites, the degree of difficulty and time, snow placement, customer expectations, etc. can change the numbers drastically between the two. Some are willing to over simplify this to make it easy and basic for themselves.

Neige, how do you come up with a salt usage estimate with stall counting, as opposed to the amount of square feet involved?

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I drive the lane ways. Most times I can eyeball a site. measuring the sites now is not making much of a difference in my salting prices.Like I said before I now measure most of my sites because I want an accurate account of what I am doing. When I was counting stalls I had different prices for the level of difficulty.
    As for over simplifying pricing, sometimes we over complicate it, and price ourselves right out of the job.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We price by the parking stall and we've done it this way for malls for over 20 years. It works well on large sites but not so well on small sites. I totally agree on what Paul said, the $1.50 is BS but the $30 to $100 range is close, depending on what the customer wants included.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

the mall we did was about 1.5/stall at 1.5-2'' no salt no sidewalks

9. Snow Picasso

Hey Neige,
    I have a lot that has 85 stalls. I'm plowing it for $225.00 (2-4) takes about 45 minutes to plow( 1 truck ) I feel like I'm doing good on that account. What I was saying is @ $1.25 per stall it comes out to be $106.00. That's a huge difference. If I went any higher I would more than likely lose the account. Maybe if the lot was 25 stalls or less I would have to go higher! I don't know! Just thought it was cheap! Do you charge per sq.ft?

Thanks

10. Snow Picasso

did you guys do ok with that? how many stalls?

11. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Hey Picasso,
    A big misunderstanding on my part. I believe your were talking about price per stall per push. I was talking about price per stall seasonal. If your average season is 20 pushes, then you are at $50.00 a stall for just pushing snow. Where I'm from thats very good.
    I also no longer believe $1.25 per stall per push is BS. Its not much but I'm sure there are guys out there doing it for that price

I now price per square foot. I measure most of the big lots with google earth.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Paul, could you show me the link you use to measure your site on Google Earth, I can't seem to figure it out.

13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I'm all about standardizing and simplifying, I don't like over complications. Measuring malls and large open lots does not take long. Accurate measurements can't fib. Counting stalls and trying to link areas can.

I believe my eye is as good as anyones.........but they can not be trusted when it comes to large medical facilities, automotive plants, proving grounds, etc. Throw in sidewalk burdens and you better be prepared to stand behind your numbers. I think it's a good habit to rely on measurements.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

OK I figured out the ruler on google earth but how do you get it to figure out sq/ft, or do you have to buy the $400 one to get that done?

15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Take a ruler to your screen Dave. :drinkup:

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have done that before. LOL:drinkup:

17. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I'd be lying if I said I never had.

18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I agree its a better way to do business.

19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I don't know I'm to cheap to find out. What I do is measure each side and the figure out the area. I tested it out yesterday on one of my accounts, the google measurement was off by 3 %. Thats close enough for me.

20. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i do anmost all my measuring by google earth... one thing to remember when pricing things like lawncare, measuring the site on the google earth is fine, but it really doesnt give you a prospective of the terrain , or what the proper equiptment is too use... so normally depending on the iste, i will at least drive by it too make sure my numbers will be ok,

JD, REALLY? - never used google to measure and figure out area?