1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing per inch... determining "official" depth

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by GripTruk, Dec 12, 2003.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I have written my contract to charge incrimentally based on depth of snow. The question is... how do you decide how deep it really is? Is there an official way to measure or a list or anything you guys use?
    The other thing is, I go on a 24 hour period basis, not per calendar day, so even the per day totals won't really be accurate for my purposes if they are listed.

-Jer

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

3. rusty gmc

rusty gmc Junior Member
    from maine

let me tell you,do not let the customer tell YOU how much snow fell,you will lose every time. our plow drop depth is 3 inches. times that by every time you pushed the place and that will give you your snowfall totals. this last storm we pushed had a "official" depth of 15 inches recorded in a town 10 miles south of us,but we pushed our accounts 7 times at the 3 inch call in level. not to mention the 6 ft snow drifts at entryways to every driveway and road!!!....our goal is not to screw people,but if we have to argue about every inch, they are not worth the effort:nono:

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Good point. Also remember that local conditions can vary greatly. A high wind and a clear field nearby can vary the depth in a parking lot or driveway from 0 to many inches depending on if the wind is blowing snow onto the area or off of the surface.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2003
  5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Rusty is right, if you have to argue with the customer, they are not worth it. There are alot of accounts out there willing to pay a fair price for good service. Treat you good accounts well, let the the complainers torture someone else. Your customers are your best advertising. If they are not reccomending you to others, find out why. Try some added service. As an example, one of the offices we plow employs an onsite building manager who is responsible for the walks and steps. If we are there at 7am and he is not onsite, I'll shovel the main walks and stairs to make sure that the property is ready for business. When he shows up late and see that we covered his butt, he is a happy client. DO NOT TRY TO CHARGE FOR THIS, the goodwill is far more valuable to building a positive relationship.

6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

That's a tricky one, throwing an occasional favor, but not letting them think it is now included in your fee so they come to depend on it each time.

-Jer

7. I make my guys carry a good ole 12"(anything over the 12" is all the same bracket) ruler in the truck, i tell to take a minute or tw and measuer three points in the driveway, the highest looking part the lower loooking part and one at random, they write the measurements on the route sheet than go at the plowing, i just figure out the average at the end of the night and thats how much i bill them for.