1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing parking lots?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by exmark, Jun 20, 2009.

1. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Pricing parking lots or driveways this will be my first year of plowing so im just curious about how to price is it by the hour or one set fee for both residential and commercial Thanks
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Customers typically dictate what kind of pricing structure they want. Some want seasonal, some want hourly and some want a per-push price.

All of my accounts except for one are billed out on a per-push basis.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Offer the customer a choice. Have per push, seasonal and hourly rate for each site when you discuss money. I didn't offer hourly, but that's how I wound up with a good mix of per push and seasonal in an area where "nobody has ever heard of seasonal".
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Mick, plus Camden has a good point too.

What did the last contractor do?? Do they want the same? What type and how much equipment can you dedicate to their lot?

Give options and be ready to justify each option.....as in "why should I take a per push price instead of a seasonal?"
  5. exmark

exmark Senior Member

What exactly is per push? And how do you come up with the price.
  6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

per push is just what is sounds like, you bill them for every time you show up to push. be it at 2" 4" or what ever incriment you decide.

you figure out what equipment you are going to use, how long you feel it should take and then figure out what you want to make per hour per machine and go from there.
  7. exmark

exmark Senior Member

What do you guys usally charge per hour for drives and lots?
  8. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Exmark my best suggestion to you is to sub for someone the first couple of years to make sure that you and your family will be ok with you leaving at 5:00am christmas morning to go and plow don't forget being out at 12:01am new year's day and if you are going to plow just your own stuff don't plan anything for during the winter because your life will revolve around the weather... also the nice thing with subbing for someone is that you are able to get your feet wet in the industry learning pricing, insurance (make sure you have it) requirements, taxes etc..... i subbed for my first 12 years in the industry before i broke out on my own
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Like I said, I don't do any work at an hourly rate, specifically but I try to make my drives pay what works out to $125/hr. However, you might have trouble billing a customer $250 for a lot that takes two hours with an 8' plow. It's more "acceptable" to pay $30 - 40 for a drive that takes ten minutes. Now, if you can do four drives that takes ten minutes and five minutes travel to the next, you've made over $120 in an hour.