1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pricing on snowplowing in upstate ny

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cntryboymc, Jun 14, 2003.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

thanks for all the valuable info guys!just looking for any thoughts on giving prices to customers for plowing and or salting.i was told by a plow dealer to charge a dollar a minute.i have been doing it by the size of the driveway.any thoughts?how much to add on for sidewalks?salting?does western make good salters?if going for a contract how do you figure an amount for a season?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No way. For plowing, I give a price per job (never per hour). But it's based on making about $125 an hour. For sanding, I base the price on twice my material cost. I don't shovel, but I can't see cutting the price (hourly) because if you weren't shoveling, you could be getting more plowing jobs. However, it might be common to use hourly pricing in your area and $60/hr might be the average. But to give the same hourly pricing for sanding and plowing seems foolish to me.

Western makes a very good salter.

For seasonal contract, basically figure the cost for the job they want, how many times will you perform that service for an average season, then multiply one by the the other. That's very simplistic since it doesn't account for large snowfalls etc. But it might give you a place to start.