1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Liability

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jerpa, Oct 28, 2014.

1. jerpa

jerpa Member

I didn't know whether this should go in bidding/estimating since I'm not looking for a price but feel free to move it if necessary.

The small private road below is paid for by the 4 houses on the street. The road ends in a church parking lot. The church has another entrance to a public road and the road to be serviced is posted as "Private No Thru Traffic". In spite of this I can't help but think that it will be used by parishioners, especially when other exits get backed up after services. I bid it about 30% higher than I would if the road was a dead end because I feel the traffic greatly increases potential liability.

What would you say?

Screenshot_2014-10-28-10-15-43.jpg

2. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

If it was me I would plow to the last driveway and leave the rest uncleared. If the church wants it cleared they can have their people clear the rest of it.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Even through its a private road,the fire dept might make you keep it open.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Buy some signs and post them at either end. "Unassumed Road Use At Own Risk!"
    They are all over the place here.

5. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

If he is not paid to clear it why in the world would he plow it??? If they told me to clear it id tellm to "EAD you plow it"

6. grandview

He's plowing it and getting paid to plow it.

7. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

Says the road ends at the church does not say he's plowing it

8. grandview

Sounds like he is bidding to plow it,He wants to know if he is responsible if something happens from people using it as a cut through. I said the fire dept may make him keep it open as an emergency exit.

9. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

Gotcha! - well that's a stupid question then!

10. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

services are usually once a week . tweak it

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  11. grandview

Is there a brain fart going on with this one? The bid I assume is for the 4 homes and road. The question really is, do I keep it open or pile snow at the end of the road.

12. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

May want to see if the household owners would like to put up a "Limited Liability Pass at Own Risk" sign or even a private no trespass

13. jerpa

jerpa Member

Im sorry I wasn't clear. My question was whether you would increase the price for this road because of the increased traffic from the church, even though people aren't technically supposed to use it, and the church pays nothing towards the maintenance costs of the road. I chose to increase the bid and wondered whether others would as well.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  14. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

try to get the church too

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What,,,no, bible studies, confirmation classes, bake sales,weddings, community gatherings. boyscout meetings XMass Mass, Easter etc etc
    yea, I bet it's only used once a week, at best:dizzy:

to the op charge what you can get.
    liability., is less for a homeowner than a business,
    but I would sell then on salt just to cya.

You could try to discuss your concerns with the home owners but I bet they go to that church.

16. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I really like the idea of plowing to the last drive and leave the road to the church unplowed. Unless of course those 4 houses need to get to church....

17. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I wouldn't worry about it. You just have to be clear what you're going to do with all of the property owners. To me that would be push and salt. Do the whole thing since they own the road and they would be paying you to do so (If they want it open). You are on private property. Others that "trespass" without permission would be held accountable for anything they do while trespassing on PP. You can't be held accountable for someone elses actions. I would just find out what all 4 property owners want to have done and price accordingly. Then voice your concerns with them about the thoughts you have with liability. Also, you thinking it will be used is correct. Matter of fact it might be used a lot. It's still not you problem.

I keep two private roads open that are about 5 times longer if not more and go up the side of a mountain! They all understand that when it snows bad, it's only going to be plowed until the storm is over, then salted good. A lot depends on when the snow is coming down. Even during the day, they know if it's snowing, it's only getting plowed. I do both on a per push and will get two pushes out of a 4-6in dump. They know as well as I do that a person driving on their snow covered road is going to be the responsible party if they slide off the road and do damage. Especially if it's posted as private property or private drive.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  18. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

dont forget to nuke it ! $$$