1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing jobs

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by CSP#1, Oct 10, 2009.

1. CSP#1

CSP#1 Member

There have been so very many requests on this site from new contractors asking for help on bidding. Then the next post complains about "low ballers" or "super low ballers". Quite honestly, there are already too many people in this business and those people who have been around a while are tired of giving anyone free information. Anyone can view this site and turn into their competition.

If you truly want to learn from "the pros", SIMA has been offering a BUILD A BID workshop that covers just about everything you need to know to put a bid together. It teaches you how to measure a site. Then it teaches you how to know your costs and figure in the profit margin you would like to make. From there, you can get an hourly rate based on the number of occurrences in your town. It will also teach you how to arrive at a seasonal price.

Many people on this site seem to want those of us who have gained considerable knowledge on our own to spoon feed our knowledge to them. That is knowledge that has cost us all an immeasurable amount of money. That is an investment we all made with money, emotion, many sleepless nights, etc. We simply can't give that information away for free any longer.

There has been a lot of good information on here over the years. The economy has undoubtedly played a big part in the attitudes of contractors around the country. They are much more guarded with their willingness to help others. In fact, they have become quite cynical when people continue to ask the same types of questions over and over and over and over and over................. again.
  2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Couldnt have said it better myself, and im sure many will agree.
  3. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Thank You, very well put. :salute:
  4. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Well said...I don't mind helping but there is a difference between helping and doing it for them!!
  5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yes go to SIMA! I am getting tired of guys that joined this forum today that ask us to bid their stuff and get pissed when we don't...first let me get stock in SIMA though.

Better yet, send me sat pics, addresses, with requirements and paypal me $25 per and I will sit here ALLLL day doing someone elses bids. I AM SERIOUS! Find my email and send them over.