1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by VBigFord20, Nov 16, 2008.

1. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I've never had to price a lot like this and I don't even know where to start. Its not much larger then the ones I do now but they want a seasonal with a 2" trigger where most of my other places have 3" or 4". I would be doing everything drawn in red, and really not even the entire back lot. They said as long as there is 30' from the building for delivery's they are fine with it.

So for a seasonal what should I charge?

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Where are you putting your piles? It looks like a very easy place to do but if you have to bring all the snow from one side to the other I could see that taking a little bit longer.

I don't know what to tell you to charge but that lot should take 20-30 minutes to complete. The fact that there are three inlets will probably slow you up a little bit otherwise you could probably get it done faster than that.
  3. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Where the white truck is in the front, near dumpster in the back, and near the house from the side is where the piles will go. It took about a half hour the few times I did it last season. Having to go every 2" is going to suck though. That will mean at least 2x a day in a normal snowfall.

I'm thinking around $1000 for a seasonal seeing that there is good chance it is going to need done 2-3 times during a storm. That sound about right?
  4. Pro-Lawn Lndscp

Pro-Lawn Lndscp Junior Member

I will caution you to stay away from seasonal pricing. Unless you conduct sufficient research to determine average snowfalls in the past. Per-push pricing ensures you get paid for each event in which you render your services and also justifies your customer in paying you for what you did as oppose to what you calculated the snowfall events to be. You will not be a happy camper if you get 30 events and only estimated 15 and your customer will not be happy either if you quoted him based on 15 events and only did 5. Also take in consideration lake effect (if this applies to you). You may also want to cover cars in the parking lot during plowing as all the parking spaces are along the 2 main sides of the building.

The way I would bid this property is as follows:

Snow Removal will include the plowing of the entire business parking lot, and all walkways leading to the main entrance. This does not include the physical removal of any snow accumulation during the snow season.

1 ½ to 2 ½ inches of snow: $150.00
    2 ½ to 4 inches of snow: $250.00
    4 to 5 inches of snow: $295.00
    5+ will be at the rate of $25.00 and inch added to the above price of $295.00.*

*During times of heavy snowfall (8 inches or more), it may be required to shovel/plow during the storm as it will be difficult to shovel/plow more than 8 inches a fair distance due to the heavy weight of the snow.

Ice Management will include 200#'s of Rock Salt on the lot and 50#'s of Better Ice Melter on Concrete Sidewalks (I use Professional Ice Melter).
    $17.50 per 50# bag of Rock applied & $27.50 per 50# bag of the Professional Ice Melter applied ($.35lb rock & $.55lb pro)

$97.50 for application of 250 lbs applied during Snow Plowing/Shoveling.

$132.50 for application of 350 lbs applied separately without Plowing/Shoveling. (This fee is reserved in cases of Ice Storms where plowing is not performed and/or will be in suffice.)

$1000 sounds a bit on the low end and I am not certain why you would have to plow 2-3 during a snow storm. Do you get a large amount of Snow in one event In Ohio? In my case if I estimated 8 snowfalls which is my average, I would have gotten slammed if i quoted seasonal considering we received 14 snowfall events and 2 Ice storm events last year. I hope this may help......I am still in newbie also.
  5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

my concern is the "it only needs to be 30' from the building" is that on paper? who is responsible if someone falls 31' from the building?

personally i would clear it all or walk away....then figure a price.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3,000 + tax for the season .Salt extra and no shoveling.
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

4000 plus tax for seasonal over 5 months, Plus 90 per salting for the lot only. if they want the walks you need to add for calcium. I have a lot that size here in lakewood and that is what I get for it. Works out pretty good, They keep signing up every year. You said you did it a few times last year. what did you charge them to plow and salt it per event last year. You can take that number and multiply it by 25 and there is your seasonal. Last year we serviced our commercial accounts 23 times that had 2 inch triggers. 25 is to give you a little buffer. and last winter we saw alot of rain. probably 3 or 4 big snow storms were canceled due to the temp being a couple of degrees above freezing. So you can go that route. either way the 1000 you are thinking of charging them is pretty low in my opinion, unless that is 1000 month. then that sounds better. but not as low as the guy that got the post office by my house which is 75K sq ft and doing it for 735 a month unlimited plowing and salting.. I cant wait to see that guy out there one morning and talk to him and ask him how he thinks he is making money on that lot. No way possible.. but since you have done that pace in the past you should have a good idea of what they are willing to pay. good luck with it.....
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008