1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SwampBoy, Oct 12, 2013.

1. SwampBoy

SwampBoy Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the forum. I haven't plowed in about 8 years. I have an f350 which I plan on fitting with a plow. I have a friend who has offered me 5 driveways for the upcoming snow season. I plan to do mostly residential starting out. I have liability insurance and will be adding plowing to my policy. I've been reading around about plowing triggers and price per inch. I need to have a set pricing format. Can someone give me an idea? I live in CT. Also, I'm undecided on a straight plow or V-plow if anyone has experience they'd like to share. Thanks- Chris
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Many ways of doing it, if you want to go per push I'd suggest 2 or 3max prices for resi, say they want you to start plowing at 2", so you give a price for 2"-6" , another(higher) price for 6.1"-10", then another for over 10"
    If u want to give them a price for season, figure out how many snow events your area has historicly(example:last 10 years) x that by your price= seasonal price.

As for plow how much $ you want to spend?
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Goes unsaid about it, you need a Boss v plow. If your plowing for your friend then he had setup the deal with the customers and you'll do what he says. You could get your own now
  4. SwampBoy

SwampBoy Junior Member

Thanks. I will figure out some minimum prices per push. I was thinking $40 minimum for a small driveway. Does that sound reasonable?

As for the plow, they're all around the same price. We have a few plow dealers locally. The straight blades are a little cheaper but I'd rather spend more money and save myself a headache if I can. I've never plowed with a V-blade before but I've been told they make it a lot easier to put snow where you want it in a driveway. Is this true?

Also, how is the maintenance on the v-plows?

Thanks. Any input helps.
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

yes, v-plows can "scoop" the snow while you push it where you want it, where as a straight blade has nothing to "scoop" it, also if you got deep snow you can sweep the v back and it makes it alot easier to break through the snow. Maintenance...I cant say I dont own a v-plow.
  6. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Hey welcome to the site.

Check out CL services and just type in Snow plowing.

The closer we get to november the more ads you will see.

Guys in this area are doing residential for $25 and $30 to start. One reason I went straight for commerical.
    Get a small snow blower and offer sidewalk work along with the plowing

You might also want to think about subbing out also, we have a really big company in this area that uses subs -(I worked for them myself my first year in the business plowing at the malls)

I might need another sub truck this year myself If I get enough contracts.

But like most others playing the waiting game with those that wait until the snow is in the air to make a descision.

I picked up two last year in December the day before the first snow storm -(surprised me, I had wrote them off when November rolled in)

Which taught me a lession, Even if the season has started, if you have not gotten a yes or no answer, always do a call back at least once every two weeks because you never know.