1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing help for clearing sidewalks with a mini skid steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MOW ME OVER, Aug 16, 2005.

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Okay here it goes.

Ive got a year of plowing under my belt from last winter. I will be subbing for a company this season. I have a 2002 F350 CC DRW with a 7.3 PSD and a 9' Boss and prowings. What type of money should I look for from this company per hour. I know that they quote by the hour and not by the push but with me having the biggest plow on the fleet and also the prowings the cleanup time will be cut down dramatically with the wings installed and also less stress on my truck and less fuel used because I will have to make fewer pushes to get things cleaned up. The main lot that I will be working on it a big shopping center/strip store front and then the backside also with about 8 speed bumps.

Also I have a Toro Dingo with a 38" bucket and a 48" bucket that it sounds like they would like to put to work for clearing sidewalks and handicap ramps. It is the tracked machine so it should do great in the snow but so so in the ice. My question with this is what dollar figure would be good for me to get when they want this machine used on the sidewalks and me suppling the operator for it. I will be paying my guy $10.00 to run it and I am thinking about trying to get them to pay for the fuel in the Dingo.

Thanks for any advise and if I left any info out just let me know and I will fill you in more.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a similar truck to yours with the same plow set up. I would think that you could get $70/hr. Pricing is all over the map and as I also higher a lot of brokers my main concern is people padding their hours. You seem like you are going to be in the same place all night so they may be able to track your hours well. Are you going to get a mininum(100 hours)?
    Are you going to put a blower or blade on the Dingo or try to use the bucket? I don't think the bucket will do very well. It will be very slow and the buckets would not hold very much. I bought a Thomas 25G this spring to drill post holes and I am considering putting a snowblower on it for sidewalks.
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I agree that $70 an hours is probably what you would for your truck maybe 80 with the cost of fuel. the magic number around here for higher dollars subbing is 10 foot. as for the Dingo, I would think that you might want to put a blower on it and then ask for 45 or so an hour.
  4. TriCountySnow

TriCountySnow Member

I have a question for you that hasnt been address here, how are you going to get this dingo back and forth, trailer in 12 inches of snow is very dangerous and carrying it in your truck bed would also be a safety hazard unloading, just a question. you should be able to get at least 75-80 dollars per hour though since it seems like you have the most equipment in the deal. good luck with this yr coming

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Thanks guys

As far as pricing for my truck I was hoping for $80.00 but have not talked to the guy about my hourly price yet. As for the Dingo I was hoping that just using the 48" bucket would suffice. Just go straight keep the bucket very close to the grass next to the sidewalk so the runoff with go towards the grass but on the larger walkways try to put the spill off on the asphault so a truck can come by and scape it away. This will be a whole new ballgame with me trying to put the Dingo to use for clearing walkways. I might get with my salesman during the first snow storm get him to let me DEMO a 6 way blade for the Dingo to see if it would be worth the money.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

$70\hour would get you laughed out of the market in our area. There are contractor's charging less than that for the work they bid. The pricing is way, way too regionalized for anyone other than someone in your area to be telling you what you could get. In Erie, PA plowing is be quoted at $35-40\per hour. I can get 3X that in a seasonal or per push bid in my market.

I would consider paying a sub that much if he\she had more than 1 year's experience and had a front and back plow. And that would be on the high end, so you would need to be very productive.

You are the one that should determine what you need to charge--labor, equipment, overhead and profit--and then you will know where you should be.

PS I don't know if you've noticed, but there are trailers out in the snow all the time. Semi's don't stop moving when the snow flies, I get salt delivered just about every storm. Just take it easy, make sure your trailer brakes are working and plan ahead. Is it optimal to have to pull a trailer in the snow? No, but don't say it is impossible or dangerous.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  7. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Do you have a lot of sidewalks to do?? I'm not sure the dingo is the best answer for this. In short, a snowblower of the right size is easier to transport, just as fast, and if you wear it out or run into something, the fix or replacement is cheaper overall. I have a small skid steer and don't think a bucket is very productive for that application. It would be better to move piles or open up new areas but sidewalks have places sticking up waiting to catch the edge of the bucket---you don't want to pay for sidewalk repair!

Just my $0.02.
  8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I was offered $75 an hour with a 2500hd and 8ft blade. So if you have a 350 and 10foot blade, you should get 85-90. IMO
  9. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

you would never get 75.00 in this market either i would bet he is only bidding it for 70.00 an hour. there is companies who will pay you 75.00 but you will probably only work when they get a lot of snow and they won't keep you busy all night. i can tell you that if you came looking to sub for me as a second year plower and the 9' with wings i would only pay you 50.00 tops. now that being said i keep my guys busy from midnight till 6:00pm the next day. there is not many other subs who bring in 900.00 per storm, not here anyways. i would also say that even if you have a big plow it doesn't mean you know haw to use it. your still learning.
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I am not sure how many 12" snow storms you have but we haven't had one since '97.
    Our town salt trucks go out on the first snow flake and plows start at 2". I can say that I have never seen more then 6" of snow on the road at any one time. Average snowfall around here is 2-4" and last year we had 2 over 6".

I agree that the Dingo may not be very fast but with a 44" blower it could move some snow quickly. I would think you would need atleast 2 hours work at any location before it would be worth while using it.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Like I said, he might get that much if he was in Detroit, but he isn't. Pricing and sub pay is too regional for any of us outside of Manassas, VA to be telling him how much he can\should get per hour.
  12. TriCountySnow

TriCountySnow Member

mark o

I have noticed that semi trucks still drive in the winter, and i have salt delivered a season long just like you, but those trucks have tons upon tons on them not some little dingo, wouldnt even consider it, other drives a retardes in the snow. besides i think that he will spend more time in the long run loading and unloading this thing. food for thought as far as he has send this is the only lot he will use this, that means that he will have to take it back to the shop after he is done, what if the next pust is right up the road 10 mins or so and he has to drive 15 mins in a snow, waste of time and money to me. my 2 cents about this.
  13. Mark Oomkes

TriCounty, I am not completely sure what exactly you are saying, I am having a hard time getting through the typo's and grammatical errors, but here goes.

I've pulled a Dingo in the snow, no problem, they weigh in at about a ton. Dingo's work great in the snow, just about unstoppable but very slow. The blade will work much better than the bucket.

He didn't say how much plowing he had to do with the Dingo. What if he is going to stay at that lot for the majority of the night and their is also 3, 4, 5 hours of plowing with the Dingo? Trailer hookup--5 minutes maybe? Unload and unhook time at job--another 5 minutes maybe? Load and hook up when finished--another 5 minutes maybe? Unhook trailer at shop--5 minutes maybe? So we're at 20 minutes for we don't know how much work.

Let's just say there is 3 hours of plowing\shoveling for the Dingo. 10 Minutes is on site time which I would bill for, plus 3 hours let's just say 3.5 hours total for argument's sake here times $40\hour (which would be low if he can get $70-80 for the truck IMO) comes to $140.00 for 5 pushes or 10 pushes (I have no idea how much snow Manasses, VA gets) comes to $700 or $1400 for the season. Compare this to the alternative, Dingo and employee sitting at shop\home, making $0.00\hour per season. Except the employee is going to be collecting unemployment insurance and possibly looking for another non-seasonal job so he can support his family.

Granted this is all hypothetical, but with the amount of info given, this could be accurate or it could be way off. If there is only an hour of Dingo plowing, you are correct, it would be a waste of time. I was debating the statement about pulling a trailer in snow, not the unloading\loading time. It can be done safely, despite the other idiots on the road. We happen to have a trailer on the road every snowfall.
  14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Our first winter doing commercial plowing and salting we had a 8' V box salter mounted on a trailer. Our thinking was to take it to the job site, unhook, plow the lot and then hook up and salt. The trailer would hold a lot more weight then ours trucks and the visibility would be better without the salter in the truck. It worked great for the first 6 weeks until we had it stolen. A see a lot of snowmobiles being trailered in the snow without incident.
  15. lush&green

lush&green Junior Member

I am looking for options for 2006/7 for a sidewalk 3.5 miles long. I have a 40 hp kubota. I need to be able to clear and also apply liquid. I was thinking of getting a broom or a blower for the front of the tractor. I could make a 3pt setup to hold the 50gal spray tank. The tractor has turf tires so I will have to get chains or ag tires. Does this sound like my best option? Do you think it would take anything longer than an hr to plow. I know I can walk 3-4 miles an hr. Thanks Tim
  16. Mark Oomkes

If you have to apply liquids, try to make something work with the broom. You want to remove as much of the snow right down to the pavement as possible. Have something for a backup if there is too much accumulation, either a blower or a plow.

There are PTO driven pump\spray combos out there, something you might want to look into for the spraying. A 12V electric pump most likely will not put out enough volume to do the job properly.

Not sure on the production rates. How wide are the walks? Will you be able to clear them in 1 pass? What happens in heavy snowfalls when you will have to blow\plow and then sweep and spray them? Is there a lot of room for the snow to go? How close to the street are the walks? Are they going to be filled in when the city\county\state plows the street? If so, chances are you won't be sweeping it off with a broom. My advice would be to drive your tractor down the walks at just about the slowest speed you can and time yourself. You will probably get more efficient as time passes, but at least you would be prepared for worst case scenario.
  17. dlcmike

dlcmike Junior Member
    from Denver

Dingo $

A dingo with a plow will outperform 4 men with shovels. Price accordingly. Don't take the dingo to jobs with lots of stairs.