1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing for snow plowing ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big P Dog, Oct 16, 2003.

What do I charge for plowing snow ? How do I charge for plowing snow ?

1. Charge by the Hour?

11 vote(s)
  2. Charge by the sq ft?

3 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Big P Dog

Big P Dog Junior Member

I am new to the Land Care & Snow Plowing Industry. I 've been trying to get some accurate info the going rates for these services. Also, the rate at which these services are charged, how, and why. I can't seem to get an accurate answer. I' m in the mid-michigan area. I think there are a lot of low-ballers in the area. One person already told me I was to high for a Gas Station with a 5 bay garage and automatic car wash. $85 for 2''- 6'' and $100 for 7''-12'' plus $50 for salting the lot. Is there any one who can shed some light on this situation. Can you charge by the square ft.? How MUch?? By the Hour? How Much? I have and older truck , so my overhead is very low and no employees. jus me and my truck

Big P Dog

ROSELAWN Member

As far as price goes, only you can really dictate how much a job should go for, your area, overhead and price of materials. Does the station have 50 pumps or 5? Does it have a lot of traffic on it, or large awnings that will keep snow off the lot, does it have a rubber hose that people drive over to ring the full- service bell, is it a 24 hour gas station or a 6am to midnight shop? I do a large car wash facility and it is easy to maintain because there is no one there until the thaw sets in so I can save it as my last stop. To really figure a price you must look at every aspect and hazard such as that hose that would need to be removed. Another thing I base price on is the frequency of work. Can I pre-salt? Can I plow at every 1" accumulation or do I have to wait for a phone call, or until the end of the snow event? I don't put the key in the ignition for less than $70.00 plow or salt. Not that I am too good for smaller jobs, I have several, but if you lower your prices to get jobs it just fills the space where a decent paying job could be! Run a clean, efficient, responsible business and the phone will ring and they will pay your price. payup Good luck and welcome to the Plowsite you will learn anything you want here these guys are good.:nod: :drinkup:
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It may seem that way, but you should really be thinking about charging enough for a replacement vehicle. What you're driving now is really irrelevant. Equipment replacement is simply a factor in any business planning.

Welcome to PlowSite. Stick around, lots of good information.

It may seem like it, but I'm not really being critical. Just suggesting you think differently in order to grow your business.
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Mick you are right.We are all here to make the payup unless some of us are millionaires just doing this for fun LOL.I personally charge per push for residential after looking at them to determine size.commercial by the inch but that really comes out to be by the hour for how long you will be there to push so many inches.