1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing for shoveling, blowing, icemelt

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ironman55, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ironman55

ironman55 Junior Member

I manage a building in Denver Co. with about 13,000 sq ft of driveway, sidewalks, patios.
    I do the snow work. I am 60 and am trying to convince the hoa president to get me a decent snowblower. I figure I will stay at this job for the next 10 yrs so I am trying to look forward as to my abilities then. The driveway is about 3000 of that 13,000 ft.

I am open to suggestions on blowers, brand names, models,hps, widths etc...
    I also would like to know a price per sq ft so I can put a value to the work that I do here.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Joe
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't you have any type of budget to work with? If so,go get one.
  3. ironman55

ironman55 Junior Member

I do the snow removal as part of my salary. I am just trying to put a figure to the area and the job that I do.
    Last Friday I spent 10 hours trying to keep up with the snow. the snowblower broke down after a rock got jambed and busted the differential.

I have to replace the machine. The building is a HOA and I need aproval to replace and I dont want to buy some piece of junk (The one they had was a MTD entry level:yow!: piece of, well you know)
    I am trying to put a value so I can justify a good piece of equipment.
    Thanks, Joe wesportwesport
  4. grandview

If your paid by the hour you could tell them a better machine will cut down on labor cost. And the added fact people will have their walk way cleaned out faster.
  5. ironman55

ironman55 Junior Member

So there is no majic number per sq ft on a project like this. I am not paid by the hour, I am salary. But at 10 hours to remove snow the way they did 50 yrs ago and I wont be here (Remember I am 60) for long.
    Thanks, I appreciate your time.
  6. grandview

Snow Blower Toro CCR 2000 20”

Snow Depth Square Feet Cleared per hour

2” 5,000 sq ft

4” 3,000 sq ft

6” 2,000 sq ft

50 # Bag will cover an average of 750 sq ft

50 # bag requires 15 minutes of labor for handling and application
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. ironman55

ironman55 Junior Member

again thanks but I am trying to put a price per sq ft.
    I have 13,000 and the other day it had snowed about 8" and in some areas I had deeper snow due to the drifting. I spent 10 hours, some with a blower and some with a shovel (After the blower broke down.)
  8. grandview

You need to piece those together yourself.

labor+ salt+ sb cost=total divided by sqft= per sqft price
  9. ironman55

ironman55 Junior Member

Sorry, I am a little slow today. So your taking the per hour cost lets say of 6" snow of 2000 ft per hour which in my case would be 6.5 hoursX lets say 20 per hr= 130 and since it was 8" I would add another 2.5 hrs for the differenceX20=50 so a total of 180 for the day
    This is a labor only scenario as the company provides the materials

Does this make sense
    I guess what I was after is what someone would charge if I got a bid from them to ouitsource the work. That way I could show them that they have a good deal with me doing the work and they chould not balk at getting me a decent machine.
  10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Then I would call about three different companies and get not only a seasonal estimate but a per-push estimate. Including cost of each salt application.

This way you can compare apples to apples.

11. grandview

That too.Thumbs Up
  12. ironman55

ironman55 Junior Member

Having been a contractor for over 30 yrs I hate to waste someones time to come here when I am not looking to hire someone, I am just after a ballpark figure.
    I appreciate you guys and thanks for the help.
  13. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

If I were them, I would get you anything you asked for. No way is anyone going to get it done cheaper than you. Ask for the moon and let them tell you what they can afford. Hell you're sixty you deserve the best and probably some help too. God love ya man i'm a little over fifty and just the thought of spending 10 hours doing manual snow removal makes my back ache. Ironman55....well deserved moniker...keep on trucking
  14. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Having been a contractor for 30 years, you know you have been called to do estimates on jobs that you never were going to get. There's no shame in calling guys for prices. You were doing it. Your snowblower broke and you're 60 and tired of doing it. Get per push prices and seasonal prices. Use that and compare how long it takes you. Now you have everything that you need. Let us know how it works out.
  15. ironman55

ironman55 Junior Member

Thanks! :mechanic:
  16. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 Member

we run two tractors with inverted blowers, our routes take us approx 7 hours, your vague calulation of $180 for a 10 hour event is way too cheap, your giving your time away, demand a raise