1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing for residential, multiple trips

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DFLS, Dec 26, 2008.

1. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

How are you handling charges for residential drives when you make 2 or more trips to plow? I usually go out before the storm ends and plow enough to get them out to the street (or into the garage) during a storm then come back to plow thoroughly and shovel in front of the garage and the walks. With a quick light storm I do everyone once and they are done. But those storms where the first driveway you plow has a few inches on it by the time the storm ends I have to come back to finish them. Do most of you use the per push method (which wouldn't seem fair if you do just enough on the first trip and completely clean up on the second trip) or the 1-3,3-6,6-9,9-12, etc price brackets?

I have been using this method: X amount(base price based on one push + cleanup of walk) for up to 6" snow then add an additional $5 per inch for every inch of snow over 6". (Additional $8 or $10 per inch if it is a really large driveway)

Example for $40 driveway:

5" snowstorm with 2 trips, first trip minimal plowing second trip full service. Total $40 (this would only apply to customers at the beginning of my route when it is still snowing enough to come back but I did not want to wait for the storm to end)

8" snowstorm with 2 trips, first trip minimal plowing second trip full service. Total would be $50.

10" snowstorm, same 2 trips, $60

18" snowstorm, possibly 3 trips, $100

Then what if the town/city has not finished the street when you plowed and after you cleanup they make a nice bank across the beginning of the driveway so you go back again (sometimes the next day) to clean that up?

Not asking about single trip plowing here, only those storms where you visit at least 2 times. Just want to see what other pricing methods are out there.

Your contract should state that every time that you come out it's an additional full plowing. (exp. 2"-6" $50.00/7"-12" $50.00/ 13"-18" $50.00) if you go out once for 8" it's $100.00.
  3. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I don't have many residentials anymore but the ones I do have either wait until the storm is done or I do it completely each time I visit and bill them fully for each visit. And I do try to wait for the storm to end. Most of my residential accounts customers have decent enough vehicles to get them in and out, to a point.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

That is one way to charge. It is by no means the only way to charge.