1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pricing for boston north shore yuppie areas

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by henry4, Oct 20, 2004.

1. henry4

henry4 Junior Member

i have a full service construction firm. I want to offer plowing to my clients. how and what do you charge for private drives? What about driveways?
    I was thinking of offering full service, meaning snowblower the walks at the same time, how and waht do i charge for this service???

do you all offer salting? if yes do you have spreaders or do you do it by hand???

Thanks for the help, i want to make sure i charge enough. If we all share info we can compete on service and not undercut each other!
  2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

You need to charge what YOU need to make off a job, not what the other guys charge..

I salt walks with a Lesco broadcast spreader. Have a Western 1000 tailgate spreader going on my truck next week. You won't want to do anything more than a small sidewalk by hand.
  3. henry4

henry4 Junior Member

what to charge

I agree i need to charge the right price for me AND i need to make sure i can be competitive with the competition's price.
    I am going to offer plowing just to complete our full service business model.
    I don't expect to get rich plowing and i am not the type that wants to undercut the market.
    surveying / leaning what competitive pricing is a very important step in developing a pricing strategy.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

henry4, welcome to Plow Site. The question of pricing comes up all the time - at least a hundred times a season. The problem is that pricing is so regional, it's hard to give advise. Even for someone from the same area within a state or province. Have you ever had anyone plow for you? You might use that as a GUIDE, but you'd still want to figure it based on your costs and profit margin.

As a general guide, the average is around $125/hr. I, for instance, have a minimum of $30. A flat, straight driveway with no backdragging of 100'x12', I'd charge $30. A 1/2 mile private road with no steep hills, I'd charge around $60. There are always exceptions - I talked to a guy the other day who has a driveway that would be a straight push, pile at the end about 10'x20'. I'd go for $20 but only if I got the other two houses that are real close and the private 1/4 mile road they live on.

Salt - if you plan on providing this, you really need a spreader. Depending on how much you intend to be spreading, you should get a 2-stage tail gate of a V-box. For a tail gate, you can get by with a 3/4 ton pick up. A V-box, you'll need a one ton/3500. If you're doing private roads of any length, go with the V-box right off, otherwise you'll wind up wasting money trying to get by.