1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing for 28" snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossplower, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

I wasn't sure what to charge for a 28" snow. If you had a lot or driveway that you charged $ 100.00 for what would you charge for 28" ? My prices are the same up to 6" I charged 4X what I normally charge I thought that was OK. What do you guys think ?
    Thanks Steve
  2. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Sounds about right to me. My prices are all good to 6 inches and with 18 inches recently I charged at least 2 times my rate for all and 3X for most (I gave the "little old ladies" a break). I charged 4X for the one parking lot I have because I had to prep for the storm by pushing everything back (previous contractor left no room), made 4 trips during/after the storm and a quick touch-up a day later. No complaints yet.
  3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I think that is fair. BUT, there should be no question of what you are going to charge. It should be spelled out in your contract.

I don't want to sound harsh at all, but if both you and the customer know what to expect it goes along way with customer relations and you know what your getting yourself into.
  4. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

Point well tacken, next year I will have a new cotract with price and inches in it . I hope we get more posts on this .
    Thanks Steve
  5. PLOWMAN21157

PLOWMAN21157 Junior Member

Hey Bossplower,
    Hate to say it I was in the same boat with that much snow!! I charged about 3x my normal rate, which honestly, my normal driveway rate is a little on the high side anyway. It was a miserable experience at best trying to deal with that much snow, but we did O.K. Had to put skidsteers, backhoes etc on my commercial properties, that's where I made some serious cash!!!
  6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Our contracts state a price "per plowing". We have had a couple of 28" storms this season and plowed each customer 4-5 times. Thus, we billed for 4-5 plowings. Only one complained and when I explained the terms of the contract, and pointed out that it was after each 6" of snow, he agreed.
  7. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

You guys are nice, I go to 4" per push. Bossplower, I think you did the right thing as well, just remember on your new contract to have a blizzard clause in it as well. This will cover you when it gets tough to keep up, and if and when you need to bring in the big guns. Mine starts at 10" in 24 hours, thats kind of a low amount for a blizzard clause, but allows me to make the call when the conditions are getting out of hand, I figure anything under that amount I should be able to handle by my self on all account's. When the snow can come at 2" per hour, you get over your head quickly. Have not had that here yet, but we all can dream........ JMO
  8. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

We charged all of our customers " per contract " , for every 3". We had 24" on christmas, then another 24" a week later. I had everyone calling me. But it was agreed upon in the contract. As it turned out with 4 trucks running at christmas, we couldn't keep up. So the customer was only charged for 6 times. My 2 cents