1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Commercial Properties

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by By-The-Lake, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Hi everyone I am planning to start my first year doing snow removal this winter. I was planning to keep things fairly simple and just stay residential servicing my lawn clients but I received a call recently from a company asking me to bid on taking care of their property. I would like to do the lawn maintenance part of the contract but I don't think the equipment I have (Ford F-150) is appropriate to take on the snow removal part of this contract now but was wondering if it would be worthwhile to sub out the snow removal just to keep the lawn maintenance part for myself in the summer.

The other question I have is trying to figure out how to bid this. The lot is a small factory that has a small parking lot in front for 30 cars (8,505 sq ft), a back lot of 38,628 sq ft with 4 loading bays, and two roads on either side of the building to drive from the front of the lot to the back. The roadways are 249 feet long. One side has 1 lane with parking for 12 cars. The other side has 2 lanes with no parking. I don't have any details on a snow plan yet but it would appear that everything just gets pushed to the back as there are no obstructions in the back lot and no other convenient spots on the property to place the snow.

Thank you for your suggestions and opinions.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Bill it hourly...

One hour minimum every-time you show up.

Around here trucks are anywhere from 85 - 125 an hour for plowing depending on site and client and who's bidding.

Shovelors bill out for around 25/hr around here.

If you don't think you can handle the plowing with the half ton (my half ton can plow anything my 250 has easy) you can sub it out and still make money.

Subs around here are anywhere from 55 - 85/ hr depending on equipment, skill, and service.

I assuming that rates in Canada are a little higher?

Keep the account anyway you can.
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I do things a little differently. I have everyone on a per push price, which is basically a fancy way of saying "each time we show up and plow it costs you this much". This works good for me, because then there are no descrepancies on time or anything like that. But it depends on your area. Our area is mainly a per push pricing area. Most of the big companies have seasonal or yearly contracts though. Which includes both snow and summer services. Most subs around here get paid around $50-65/hr. Canada would probably be more.

Now about the job. It doesn't sound like a super big job. About an acre to plow. Should take you less than an hour to do, unless it is tricky. Then 2 hours at the absolute most. That job should probably be around $100 per push, plus sidewalks and salting, at least around here. But maybe more or less depending on obstacles and who else is bidding on it, how bad you want it, stuff like that. I think that you could handle that with your truck. Just have a backup plan if something breaks, because stuff will. Or you could keep it small and sub it out. I kinda jumped head first into plowing a few years ago, and so far it's going pretty good. But think it through and see what happens. Just make sure if you do sub it out, sub it someone your not competing with! I would sub out to a roofing company or asphalt company or something. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I have never had anyone ***** about my hours...and I modify them for my own good.

But I have had numerous occasions where the client was pissed cause his lot got pushed so many times in a storm with a two inch trigger. 12 inches = 6 pushes...not cool in customers eyes.

Down here...if it's snowing during the day and there is accumulation...guys will only push drive lanes, entries, and exit's and bill hourly for it. Then when all the cars leave, we will push the whole lot. Works great for service.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure where in Ontario you are but in the GTA most people want seasonal pricing, with extra's being salt and loader work.
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

...And some want that all in too. :drinkup:
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I wasn't saying you should push somebodies lot each time their trigger is reached, unless they want it done that way. You should discuss with the customer to see what their expectations are. Some may want it cleared every 3 inches during an all day storm, others may want you to wait until it's over, or some may want you to come every hour and clear lanes. It just depends. Price the job for what it is. For my clients during a 12 in. storm, I would plow them 2 times. That's how our contracts are set up. This year some may be different.