1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sootonurford, Nov 10, 2011.

1. sootonurford

sootonurford Junior Member

This is my first year i am not working for someone and am on my own. I have one account so far and need to bid on a few others in the area. My question is how do you guys price them is it buy the square foot or just a price per push. I know i need to consider the walkways and where the snow will go if we get a big storm but i have no idea where to begin on a base price any input would be appreciated.

2. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

You leave out the type of equipment, how long it takes you to clear what size area in what time.

You have to figure your costs.
    You have to know how many SF you can clear per hour.

Then you can guess how long it would take to do a bid and how much it will cost you to do that bid.

From there how much do you want to get paid/net an hour.

So you then have your sf price to bid a job.

Now if you want to know what people charge for a specific type job to see if you are charging the area/industry average to prevent low balling that's another story.

3. sootonurford

As far as equipment goes i have a truck with a plow/salter and a case 580 backhoe but i guess my question is more related to your last line. I dont want to over/under bid on these jobs but like i said i would need the square footage to price it out right?

4. sootonurford

bump anyone..

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Try the bidding and estimate section. Nobody on here is going to tell you what to charge. Figure in all your overhead and that will give you a place to start.

6. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

SIMA can offer some resources, that you may find useful. I attended a build a bid, conference and really wasn't all that impressed with it, seemed to include info that was either, wayyy too basic,,,or more geared to the MASSIVE snow operations out there. However,, they do offer some basic and useful stuff in print, online or on paper, or thru snow business magazine.

7. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

How much are you getting paid per sf on this one.

Take your sf price raise it 10% and see if you get another job.

Keep raising by 10% until you lose every other bid. This way you will find out the going rate for your area.

8. sootonurford

Thats the thing i have no idea what to charge by square foot the lot is 100 ft by 20 ft with a very small sidewalk and curbs all around any idea on what i should charge per SF.

9. NickT

NickT Senior Member

How much are you charging for the 1 account you currently have? If its a driveway then stick to just driveways

10. sootonurford

Its not a drive way. What do my costs really matter if i am trying to make a competetive bid on a job. I could want to make $1000 an hour but i am clearly not going to charge that there has to be a basic way to price out square footage. I guess that was my main question what would someone charge to plow a 100 by 20 ft lot in central NJ.

11. SIMASTAFF

SIMASTAFF Sponsor
    from Midwest

Sootonford,
    This is Brian with the Snow & Ice Management Association (SIMA), give me a call at 814-602-4548 or shoot me an email at Brian@sima.orgl, I might have some info that can get you started, we work with a lot of folks who are in the same boat as you and I know it can be difficult. I don't check Plowsite everyday so phone or email is best place to reach out.

Brian Birch
    Assistant Executive Director
    SIMA
    Brian@sima.org