1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing by the SQ-ft

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by SnoFarmer, Dec 2, 2015.

1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Pricing by the SQ-ft
    How many do it this way and what are the
    Pros& cons of such a method.

Some recent posts came up on the subject but it got locked down .
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=164757

So I thought I would " start a new thread" on the subject.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Only use Square Feet to find out acreage in commercial lots, from there it's priced by acreage in 1/4 acre increments.
    Resi's are either $35.00-75.00 per push depending on size, no measuring it's all visual.
    A big thing is knowing what the market will bare, you can be under or over bidding work.
    So at the end of the day there is no cookie cutter approach to bidding IMO, you can have a baseline and that's aboot it.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you're selling real estate, you ain't selling square feet. Or foots.

4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

We use sq. ft. measurments and a set price per sq/ft to come up with a base price on commercial. From there we take lot difficulty and efficiency of chosen equipment to tweak the numbers where we feel comfortable.

We tried to put a system in place for bidding, but unless your always doing wide open square lots, there has to be some tweaking done.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

All our stuff is commercial, save for HOA's.

We measure square footage and use production rates for the level of difficulty for the property. Estimator spreadsheet turns square footage into time based on production rates, and turns that time into a final price based on the equipment(s) we assign to the lot.

The whole idea behind the system we're using is so that anyone can assign a lot a level of difficulty and bid the property.

HOA's pay a flat rate per driveway 1-15 feet, 16-20 feet, and 21-30 feet in length multiplied by 1.5 for double width, no square footage needed.

6. Mark Oomkes

I'd be interested in seeing that.

If I PM you my number, will you text me that too?

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

JDG be warned if you give Mooks your cell number he's been known to drain a cell battery in aboot 4hours.......:nod:

8. Mark Oomkes

Or, we could get a huge group text from everyone we want from plowsite and wouldn't need plowsite anymore.

Wouldn't that be fun? Thumbs Up

9. John_DeereGreen

The production rates are still a work in progress, but I'll gladly share any info that might help.

Mine's on life support almost constantly anyway...

10. Mark Oomkes

He's full of crap, he was sending just aboot as many as me..............and Greg combined. :p

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

He's not worth support.................when it dies it dies.....

12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I measure the square footage of every parking lot. I then plug that into the excel spreadsheet I created. Next I change the efficiency field for square footage per min that should be able to be achieved ranges from 500-1100 based on our historical numbers. Lastly I input $/hr. This gives me my per push price.

That same square footage number also kicks into the deicing portion of the spreadsheet where I change #/acre and $/lb.

I found this is more consistent than sticking a thumb 6" away from my nose and sayin "I kin plow dat much in aboot a hour"

13. Mark Oomkes

My thumb and nose are extremely accurate.

The problem is it can't be taught.

14. Mark Oomkes

If I had feelings, they'd be hurt.

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Take your hardest site, and the $# you were the happiest with, divide the previous' sq meter by the laters dollar amount then multiply that decimal point by the new sites area squared in meters. Put the result down as your estimate and maybe put quotes around "Estimate"...
    Make sure there's still enough if you add multi year/ property/ senior/ referral/coupon/prepay/family/friend discounts...

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I don't know why I never thought of pricing it this way.
    I just eye balled it, and gave a # that I wanted for the service being provided.

Yet, when I did seal~coating it was sq footage then the fuge factor,
    Smooth, new , old , rough, cracks, and other hinders.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For the majority on here you might have to translate this to "feet". They have enough trouble with colo(u)red money let alone metric. :D

18. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

19. John_DeereGreen

That's what we are going for.

I'm like Mark, I can look at a property and know within a few minutes of how long it'll take to push it and salt it, and how much salt it'll take. But I can't teach that gut instinct to someone that doesn't know what they're doing.

By measuring square footage and being able to easily determine which production rate category the lot falls in, anyone with the ability to measure a property and count islands, light poles and other obstacles can easily and accurately (in theory) estimate plowing time, salting time, and salt required. Ultimately, my goal is to have production rates based on the number of obstacles in the lot combined with where the snow has to go. The second part is what's a little harder to teach someone if they haven't plowed snow.