1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing by the lb in Iowa

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jake23rc, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

Ok I have used the search and can not find a new price by the lb for rock salt in central iowa. I use 80lb bags of rock salt. I am new to spreading salt have done very little all by hand. Will be using a tailgate spreader for the first time this year. Please help and be nice.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Spreading bulk salt with a tailgate spreader doesn't work very well.
    For me it is ALOT easier to use bagged.

3. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

Thanks for the advice. What do you charge a bag?

4. hydro_37

from iowa

3 times what it costs me but that includes spreading it.

5. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

I am sorry for pushing this but it is say 20 a bag u charge 60 which includes spreading. so i parking lot takes 10 bags you charge 600.

6. hydro_37

from iowa

First of all I would NEVER pay $20 for a bag of salt.
    I think I was getting 50lb bags of salt last year for less then $5.
    So....I was charging $15 to spread a bag.
    I never use straigh salt....I mix it with sand.

7. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

Cool thanks for the help. Kinda new at the salt thing. I have a competitor charging .65 a lb installed. I thought that sounded way high.

8. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

What type of spreader did you end up getting?

Any luck on finding cheap salt? I'm in central IA and am looking for good prices on bagged salt.

Thanks

9. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Depending on the lot size i triple the bag price. We run bulk salt in our vbox on the big lots and that works great since your not reloading much, but on all the medium/small lots i actually prefer to use bags since it's fool prrof to keep track of amount used on site...vs best guessing with the bulk salter since we get ALOT of phone calls after ice storms from all over the place going to lots i've never seen before.

For bag stuff i'll just buy 2-3 pallets at a time and get better pricing that way vs a typical consumer going into a homecenter and buying 1-2 bags....also depends on if they even have just rock salt in stock, or if the ice blows through and all they have left is the spendy hot hot stuff LOL!!

For the record i started cold turkey with a used tailgate spreader, made enough that month i bought the big boy outright since i seen the niche, and i absolutely HATE sand/salt mix going through my v-box. When we get it, it's pulled from a pile at the quarry that sits out in the open, soaking up all the water falling from the sky weather it be rain, wet heavy snow, or just regular fluffy snow...it does'nt flow as well as dry bag salt obviously..., it does'nt fling out nearly as far as when it's dry so you lose coverage and have to make more passes, and the mess it leaves behind...what a jucking foke!!!! Luckily i have most of my accounts talked into salt only and some new accounts were VERY apprehensive to my sales pitch, and i just said give me a month of winter weather to persuade you please....once they seen their parking lots looked like winter never arrived-ever, no beach left behind, no sand tracking into the store/offices, that was all it took to see even though inital cost is more than the hack mix other's use, the benefits for customer/worker safety faaar exceeds the little investment over throwing sand in the mix.

just gotta realize, use the salt and then there's NO reason to put a beach down...because there's nothing left behind to need traction other than wet pavement LOL!!

10. hydro_37

from iowa

Buying by the pallet is usually about 10-15% cheaper perbag then smaller quantities.
    We use ALOT of sand and no one has ever complained about a "beach".
    The sand sits outside and we just mix in some bages as we are loading the sand.
    Every customer is different as to what they want.

11. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

thanks for the responses. I have been looking at a meyer 750s tailgate spreader have a buuddy who is the new meyer dist in my area. I have been using the rock salt from menards that comes in 80 lb bags for my walk behind salt dogg and it worked awsome. I would like to use salt only but the 750s will do both. I did buy it by the pallet last year and will try to buy 2 or 3 at once and see if I get a better deal. I now have a way to move the pallets with the JD.

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

PM me, I might have some bagged salt for you.

13. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Definately exercise your voice at the contractor desk when inuiring about pallet pricing, when i go in there they have to have a manager or other higher up desk jockey price over ride in the computer to make it happen, it's not a huge savings, but when talking close to $1/bag under retail and buying 2 pallets at a time...it all adds up.

14. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I went through 3 semi loads of bagged last year. By the semi is by far the cheapest way to go.

:)

J.

15. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I could'nt imagine cutting and dumping that much....i'd slit my own wrists while having my guys kick me in the nuggets...WOW!!! Why not just go bulk for that kind of quantity? or are you just selling it and not using it?

16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

We are using it.

Last year when salt of any kind was hard to get we hooked up with a small grocery store here in town. The owner plows and was going to order some salt through the store. We lucked out and got in on it as well.

Cutting and mixing wasn't all that bad. On rain days, I would send the guys down and they wound cut 4pallets or so. It worked out pretty good. Then last january, we got hooked up with or new bulk salt vendor. We were able to get bulk on the spot. Couldn't do that in november.

The nice thing about the bags was a gauranteed quality of salt that you couldn't get with bulk. Most of the bags we used went into my salt sand blend. 50% salt, mag, cal, and potassium to 50% masons sand, and Limestone ManSand. Some went into our smaller tail gate spreaders for spot spreads, and a small amount went on sidewalks.

So I have about a 3/4 of my fourth load of bags left. Those along with the load of Polor melt I have from last winter will all go to my sidewalk crews.

J.

17. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Bulk does have the disadvantage as far as storage goes, and then where we used to keep our stock pile of salt and sand/salt mix cacksuckers would come and steal it during the night:realmad: when it'd rain the bottom would get wet even though we tarped everything, and had i planned to keep that location i was going to build a portable lockable storage unit for last season, but i lucked out with another location:) BUT THEN the big chemical place that got the bulk salt in for the entire local area and supplied the small towns/DOT with their stuff got stupid, in the past 3 years he's run completely out of ALL SALT by the end of november and never orders anything in the rest of the season forcing EVERBODY here to go out of town/state to bring in personal supplies at crazy costs...last year bulk was going for $225/ton:dizzy: when i was buying it for $60/T prior.

But now he wants you to pre-pay a set tonnage you think your going to use, so we typically go through 20T on my accounts per season i was supposed to prepay 100% up front the 65ton worth of salt.....but here's the catch, unless I went and picked up all 20ton at one time that i had reserved, if he runs out of salt prior to me picking all mine up...i'm just out everything-the money and the salt, so i had to tell him how crazy he was and go back to mainly bagged stuff, which is nice since many of my lots only require 4-500lbs of salt and they're good and i just make sure i send one of the guys out in the manual labor tailgate spreader truck while i take the Vbox LOL!!!

18. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

What R U paying for your bag salt by the semi load? Right now, a feed store in town is selling it for $4.35 a bag in pallet lots (49 X 50# bags). I am also in Western IA.

19. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I think it was something like $3.50 or $4.00 per bag.

This year I have a small surplus of bags left. About 2 months worth of sidewalks. When that runs out we are going to some kind of higher end melter.

For the lots, we are suing bulk

J.