1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing a Rink?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mwhodder89, Feb 7, 2013.

1. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

First time posting on here, but have been reading and looking around on here for a while. I currently run a landscape and snow removal business servicing residential driveways and walkways. my current set up includes 2 ariens 2stage 24's and a toro 621. There is a third 2stage a little bigger I can borrow from a friend as well.

on to my question:

got a call this morning from the local power company and they are having a staff family skating party Sunday afternoon. They called looking for a price on shovelling/snowblowing, their man-made pond. It is 150ft by 250ft. We are expecting 15-18 inches this Saturday and Sunday Morning.

Just wondering if anyone has done something like this and how to price it out or any suggestions? It isn't accessible by plow and I called around a few places and noone here runs atv with plows.

If it helps, im in Nova Scotia

Thanks in advance for any help would be greatly appreciated?

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

How deep is the man made pond? or is it just one of the quick ice rinks you can buy and put together in your yard?

3. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

shallow spots it is around 4 feet, with some spots deeper around 8 to 10 feet

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Well You would want to snowblow, my buddy has a rink he made that is 2' at the deepest and it cracks VERY easy even after the week we had near zero here in MA. Shoveling is easy if your wearing skates and pushing the shovel, as long as the snow is light. Never really done it though. I would charge a good amount just since there is the extra risk of injury, death, and losing equipment.

5. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

thanks for the quick reply and info. that's kind of the direction i was going in. It will have to be done twice, problem once Saturday night then Sunday morning just before the event. I will definitely charge accordingly since there is no way around shoveling and snow blowing and is riskier than a simple driveway.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I did one with ATV and put a rubber edge on so it wouldn't hurt the Ice I wanting say was it was 100x 200 Thinking I got 100 per visit but this was back in the 90s since then they bought own ATV with rubber edge
    I would start in the middle and start driving in a circle It was fun

But 15'' I dont know if a ATV could windrow that much snow
    Most I ever did was 6''

7. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

I was thinking an atv would probably be the easiest and quickest but I dont have one and I called around and noone uses them around here. if onlyy..

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

snowblower on the back of a compact tractor,...have in writing ahead of time not responable for damge to the ice

9. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

you wouldnt have enough traction to push that much snow anyways. your on ice remember.. I have one in my backyard, my brother clears it with my backup snowblower all the time works best. trust me i have lots of experience clearing hockey rinks lol

10. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

Thanks for your replies, however we got pounded with snow and they ended up postponing the event. However they are potentially still interested for when it gets rescheduled, so i will take your guys advice and stick with the snowblowers. Thanks again

11. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

T&M is my vote

12. Northeastsnow

Northeastsnow Junior Member

:dizzy:i have to say that this is the craziest posts i have ever read here so far, you guys must have HUGE you know what in order to go out onto a 8 to 10 ft deep pond with a snow blowers... WOW WOW WOW:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

13. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

They actually messed up when they gave me the specs of the pond, the deepest spot is no more than 4' feet (which would have my blower fully submersed if it ever went through), but the ice is quite thick as we have been well below -10 to 15 for the last month or so. The potential risk was figured into my price so everything would have worked out fine if it wasn't postponed.

14. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Might be slushy so I would get on it soon, the snow insulates the ice and melts it.

15. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

I just got off the phone with the guy who contacted me about the job and they are not doing anything with it now. The pond is buried in about two feet of snow with some big drifts and we are supposed to get another 10 to 15 cm tomorrow and 30 to 40 Thursday overnight and into Friday. Turning out to be a pretty sweet week after the storm this weekend!

16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Been on ponds in upstate NY and Mass my whole life with cars and trucks...need to drill and know the thickness though - FIRST! 15" thick and you can put a pick up on it...blue to clear ice is the thickest...BUT GET A LOCAL EXPERT TO TEST. You are way up there - I bet there are experts in the "Town Gov't" or National Park Service...hell, you have ice fishermen everywhere up there! I just remember my Dad teaching me to drive SLOW - you can actually move the water underneath and make waves which is baaaad! Again - get an expert to test but ATV sounds best...